Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default carry while listening to an iPod?

Question for people who CC or OC: do you listen to music on headphones while you carry?

The reason I'm asking is because I could imagine the argument (particulary with OC) that anything that limits your ability to know/see/hear what is going on around you, increases the chances of you losing control of your weapon because someone taking advantage of the situation.

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether it is foolish or fine to carry while listening to an iPod or any device? Am I overanalyzing this?

(Pike County)

Default Re: carry while listening to an iPod?

Personally, I never use such things. Nor would I. I attemt to be aware of my surroundings at all times.

(Franklin County)

You know, just the other day I thought of grabbing my mp3 player and heading off to do the weekly shopping alone. It did occur to me that this would put me at a disadvantage of being less aware than I think I should be while carrying a firearm. I chose to leave the player behind instead of my pistol.

I would be a little more comfortable concealing in these circumstances, but I don't believe I'd ever OC while doing this.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Weather or not I carry, I usually only have an earbud in one ear.

I am used to working with assholes that try to smeak up on you.

I probably wouldn't do it while OC'ing, But concealed carry is just that. Concealed.

you'll look just like every other person listeneing to an Ipod.

Some people will say it's not "tactical" to listen to headphones, but most of those people take themselves WAY too seriously. Everyday life isn't an article in combat handguns people. It's not likely you'll be ambushed on the way to your car. And nobody is gonna run out of a bush and try to grab your concealed handgun because you have headphones on. You'll probably never need it, and most likely nobody will know you're carrying anyway. It's great that you can shoot an AR-15 over your shoulder to fight your way to your armored SUV and run down the internet mall ninjas. But I doubt you'll have to.

Anyway it's much more important to just pay attention to what's around you. If you're surronded by people then don't listen to headphones. But if you're walking down the street chill out and listen to tunes.

Don't worry, the ninjas won't get you

(Westmoreland County)

Listening to ipod = Condition Brown
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by newbieshooter View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts about whether it is foolish or fine to carry while listening to an iPod or any device?
    Yes, it is.

Am I overanalyzing this?
    No, you're not. Employing all of our sensory receptors is one of the five tactical principles.

(Allegheny County)

all i can say is that if i have to slam on my brakes one more time to avoid a pitt student who is walking around listening to an ipod crossing bigelow blvd or forbes ave (very busy main city streets for those not from around here) whenever the whim hits them without looking and unable to hear the traffic that is about to run them over because of the ipod, i swear i'm gonna...

...have to replace my brake pads much sooner than i should have to.

seriously, though, it never ceases to amaze me how some people don't even realize how lucky they are that other people are paying attention to what they are doing...even when they themselves are not.

personally, i can't stand to not be able to hear what's going on around me...not because i think i am going to be attacked, but i just have some instinctive desire to know what is going on around me and have trouble relaxing if i cannot.

(Venango County)

I like music. But I would only use one in a stationary situation, not whilst on the move anywhere. Well, maybe jogging. But been awhile since doing that!

Same with a cell phone. I am not going to walk around all engrossed in a conversation in public.

If I were choosing a target to hit, someone wearing and apparently listening to headphones would top my list.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by p-11 shooter View Post
    Some people will say it's not "tactical" to listen to headphones, but most of those people take themselves WAY too seriously. Everyday life isn't an article in combat handguns people. It's not likely you'll be ambushed on the way to your car.
    Let us all know when we will be ambushed, okay? I'll be sure to be extra tactical that day so they don't get the drop on me.

k thkz bye
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Susquehanna County)

I only listen to the radio in the car and that took a long time to acquire that habit. Still if I'm on a cell phone like to have something at my back, IE a wall.
    Old habits die hard some don't die at all

And LittleRedToyota run em down you can always claim you were watching TV and were in the process of changing the channel

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast