Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Savage M12

(Monroe County)

Default Savage M12

I want to rechamber my savage model 12. It is an older style, i believe from 2000 or so. Right now it has a 20 inch .223 bull barrel on it, 1 1/4 dia. I would like to chamber it in a .308 or possibly a 6.5x284 but I don't know how well that would work. Is the action going to be strong/stiff enough to for this to be accurate? I think the action is long enough, and being a single shot I don't think it will be an issue loading or ejecting. I am taking it to a gunsmith tonight to see what his opinion is. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your time!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Savage M12

Quote Originally Posted by summersux View Post
    I want to rechamber my savage model 12. It is an older style, i believe from 2000 or so. Right now it has a 20 inch .223 bull barrel on it, 1 1/4 dia. I would like to chamber it in a .308 or possibly a 6.5x284 but I don't know how well that would work. Is the action going to be strong/stiff enough to for this to be accurate? I think the action is long enough, and being a single shot I don't think it will be an issue loading or ejecting. I am taking it to a gunsmith tonight to see what his opinion is. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your time!
    no problems on what you want to do. besides the barrel, you will need a new bolt head but again thats no problem. If you want a recommondation for a barrel then go with a Shilen super match, that is what I use on my (I have used others) and they seem to be one of the best out there.

I am not to familier with the 6.5x284 but it is a std chambering for savage so you shouldn't have a problem but I am not posative if it is long action or short action. The 223 and 308 are both short action so no problems there.

Hope that helps,
    Rich W.

(Monroe County)

Thank you Rich W. I took the gun to a gun smith last night and he told be it's an excellent action for the job. He happened to have a loaded 6.5x284 in the shop to check if it would fit the action. On my gun, there is a bolt stop that is removable like the bolt nose. I need to get a shorter one of those as well as the bolt nose for it to work, but that is no problem. I want to get either a 30" Shilen Stainless Steel Match Grade or a Krieger barrel. I thing either should work well. I need to do other work to the gun a well, the savage stock is very flexible. If I mount a bypod to it now, i can easily twist the stock to a point the barrel will touch. I am going to look at McMillan stocks but Im still not sure where I am going with that. Once I have some news I will post with pics.

(Monroe County)

I like the Model 10 actions they are nuts on from the factory, I actually wasted my time trueing the bolt face to the action because they were already dead on the money but I get a little anal when it comes to my rifles.

this is my 24" 308 With McMillan stock and Shilen Stainless Super Match barrel

This one is 30", it originaly had a Shile Chrome moly barrel but I switched it out for the Stainless Super Match and got a we bit more accuracy out of it. It's got a fixed 45x45 Leupold on it that won't even focus under 200yrds. but over that it's the cats ass. I haven't got a lot of time behind the trigger sence I replaced the barrel so I am not sure yet of it's potential.

The 24" will shoot dam nice at 200yrds

Rich W.