Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Whats missing from my Dan Wesson??

What is supposed to be here? The gun performs perfectly but was filthy when I got it. What part is missing from this space toward the bottom right of the cylinder? Anyone know.

Last edited by bripro; December 28th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Whats missing from my Dan Wesson??

I just took one of mine out of the safe.It looks like yours. Maybe you could take a closer pick.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

DH What happened there?!!
    I thought that was molded in.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lehigh County)

bripro- there is a little cylinder retaining device there- it looks like a quarter slice of a very small globe. I guess it prevents the cylinder from bearing too close to the rear of the frame so that it can easily be closed.
    Dang- Roscoe, I'm of the same mind- I thought it was part of the frame too. When you think about it, though, in terms of manufacturing, it makes all the sense in the world to spot-weld that little projection in place, saves a lot of steel that way.
    Guess you learn somethuing every day- I collect DWs, and didn't really know that a missing piece like that was possible.
    POB

(Monroe County)

I just opened mine up and no sh** it's just pressed in.
    Do you have he part and it just fell out? If not- wow good luck finding it.
    It also holds the cyl on the rotater.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

No, I dont have the part. I emailed CZ so I will see if they get back tome. For now, a piece of black electrical tape to keep the dust out will have to do.

That is some thing you will see on any side open revolver. It is meant to keep the cylinder in place when you open the crane and dump the rounds.
    I doubt CZ will ship you a part as it has to be fitted in place, looks like the previous owner tried to pin or peen it in place and it fell out. (Mind you CZ might ask you to ship it back to them)

If it where me, I would weld a silver lug in place (some times it pays to have an old Silver coin) Any good Smith should be able to do this for you, I would prefer to have it welded in there then Pined like the previous one was.

If you can not find a good smith to do it, maybe a jeweler would do it for you, mind you unless he is also a FFL you would have to stay there while he does the work.
    It should look like a raised D that tapers off to the round part so the straight part of the d comes out about 1/16th to 3/32 Make sure the inside is polished to be flush so it does not stop the action.

The gun is safe to shoot as is, but watch the cylinder when you empty so it does not slide back. If you ever see very old revolvers, you might see that they used to do this with a screw from the inside then polished to the shape they needed.

You can see here what it should look like
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lancaster County)

To Frenchy, Thanks for the info and nice gun. I envy the condition of your DW.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    To Frenchy, Thanks for the info and nice gun. I envy the condition of your DW.
    LOL It is not mine, it is a stock photo i picked up online, but my Mod 66 i just gave my son was nice and clean and once i clean my ruger, Ill post some pics of it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly