Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Post Portland, OR - Newtown, CT - Webster, NY Pre Holiday open carry blog

Disclaimer. I did not see any prominently displayed signs indicating I was not welcome on the premises in any of these locations.

In light of the Portland, Oregon Mall, Newtown, CT school, the Webster, NY Firefighter ambush I really wasn't sure if OCing in crowded places during the holiday season would seem "insensitive", but I held to my convictions. As the saying goes, hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Friday, 12/21: Springfield Mall. I entered through Macy's because according to extensive online research they were the only place in the tri-state area that had a pair of boots my 16 y/o daughter wanted. If you have daughters, I don't have to explain. It was smaller than I expected, so I visited almost every store since I was there, but didn't receive one comment or noticeable glance at my side arm. I would be remiss if I didn't add that I received THE best customer service I recall receiving at any mall in decades here. Each store had more than enough employees to handle us last minute shoppers, and I swear they must have hand picked the most beautiful women in SEPA to help shoppers find just the right gift in every store. I saw plenty of security throughout the mall, but didn't get a single comment.

Saturday, 12/22: Coventry Mall. Not too crowded and didn't see much security. Bought some presents at "Habitat" and had a light hearted conversation with the Habitat manager about a few kids in front of me saying they can get the things they were shopping for cheaper at another store, so he told them to hurry before they sold out. He made several overt glances at my side arm as he was helping me, but never broke stride in showing me his wares to see if he had something I was interested it.

The Coventry Mall is small and I finished my business there quickly, so I still had time to travel 20 miles South to Main St. Mall, Exton. It's an old timey village square setting with outside access to most stores so I just walked along the sidewalks most of the time, not spending much time in any store. Local PD presence was heavy since their HQ is just across the street, but they seemed more concerned with keeping the folks moving along that seem to think they can stop their cars anywhere they please as long as they engage their hazards lights. Some patrol cars slowed down as they passed me, but they never stopped or spoke to me.

Sunday, 12/23: I braved the ever dreaded Exton Square Mall. It's always packed with kids as well as, how can I put this as politically correct as possible, people from countries where they assume every price is subject to barter. Theft is a big problem in this mall. Not because of teens trying to grab stuff they can't afford, but due to parents tearing off price tags of popular brand name items and then spending 20 minutes arguing with cashiers claiming that they should only be charged the same as the store brand name for the designer products because they look almost alike. The line for a picture with Santa was a mile long with people I swear never heard of the dude 6 months ago and the screaming babies was more than I could bear. I walked the mall for a couple hours and left empty handed save a slice of pizza for lunch, but during that time I didn't see a single eye turn towards my hip.

Monday, 12/24: The day I expected to be the worst. Christmas Eve at the King of Prussia Mall which just regained it's throne as the biggest mall in America. I expected the place to be packed, but instead the customers were few and far between, the post Christmas sales were already in full swing and I found those last two items I'd been searching for. The K of P Mall was also heavy with security as well as local PD, but again I didn't notice one uniformed person take a second glance my way. I did however get my first OC comment of the weekend as I stepped off an escalator. An older gentleman wearing a NRA hat who I had noticed as I rode up the moving stair case because I thought he was pretty bold wearing the hat just after LaPierre's statement that wasn't received too well by either side of the gun debate. As I stepped off the escalator it appeared that he'd been waiting for me and as we made eye contact he simply smiled and said in what can only be described as a Sam Elliot style voice, "I'm glad to see this whole country hasn't turned into a bunch of pussies." I smiled back and nodded, and we left in opposite directions.
    Last edited by str8shooter; December 29th, 2012 at 01:59 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Post Portland, OR - Newtown, CT - Webster, NY Pre Holiday open carry blog

Great post!
    I live in the area as well and frequent the KoP mall pretty often. I'm glad to hear that they're OC friendly.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Post Portland, OR - Newtown, CT - Webster, NY Pre Holiday open carry blog

Quote Originally Posted by vavulaka View Post
    Great post!
    I live in the area as well and frequent the KoP mall pretty often. I'm glad to hear that they're OC friendly.
    They are not OC friendly. They have notices next to the doors stating no weapons allowed, as do Exton and Springfield malls. These signs have been discussed widely on these forums.

In my opinion, anyone who OCs in these places without incident was just lucky.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    They are not OC friendly. They have notices next to the doors stating no weapons allowed, as do Exton and Springfield malls. These signs have been discussed widely on these forums.

In my opinion, anyone who OCs in these places without incident was just lucky.
    I guess I was lucky, and I appreciate the reply because I do think it's important to respect the wishes of store proprietors/managers just as I would expect people to respect my rules if they're on my property.

As I mentioned in the OP, at the Springfield Mall I entered through Macy's. At the Exton and K of P Mall I entered through Sears and at the Coventry Mall I entered through Kohl's. I can't say I went out of my way to look for signs regarding weapons, but if they have them posted at the entry of the anchor stores and places other than the main mall entrances they're not readily noticeable.

I rarely shop at a mall, and if Amazon had the few items I was looking for I never would have gone to any of these malls. On the few occasions I've been desperate enough to shop at one, I always enter through one of the anchor stores because the parking is typically much easier. I've seen veritable traffic jams near the main mall entrance of the Exton Square Mall as people sit in their cars waiting for a parking spot to open up while I drive by on my way to a nearly empty parking lot outside of Sears. Now that I know these malls are gun free zones even if they don't have signs at every entrance, I guess I'll have to oblige them and just stay out of them completely.

(Montgomery County)

I have seen more "no guns" signs spring up in the last month than ever before. Just a back door to control us.

Out of curiosity, what were you carrying and how? I imagine an LCP in a dark holster is less noticable than a 6" chromed revolver.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I have seen more "no guns" signs spring up in the last month than ever before. Just a back door to control us.

Out of curiosity, what were you carrying and how? I imagine an LCP in a dark holster is less noticable than a 6" chromed revolver.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    I carry a Glock 30 in a Don Hume "Agent 711" holster at 9 o'clock. The holster completely covers the barrel and has a thumb break, so I guess a black subcompact in a black holster on a black duty belt with little more than a short grip indicating it's not just a padded cell phone holder could easily go unnoticed. And based on what the teenage girls were wearing I'm sure the mall cops weren't looking at my fat ass when there was plenty of eye candy in spandex roaming about to get their attention.

I am curious about when Exton went gun free though because I was there once when a mall cop came up to me and said a woman stopped him and said she thought I had a gun. I was carrying the same rig, but it was covered by a jacket. I just looked at him without saying anything, so after a few seconds of awkward silence he said "I told her I would talk to you". I still didn't say anything, expecting him to ask if it was true, but all he said was "well, I talked to you". We both laughed and he walked out and started talking to a woman who was trying to hide around the corner outside the store. He never asked if I was carrying.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I am curious about when Exton went gun free .
    I think all of these signs are very recent additions.

edit; btw, I was at KoP tonight, went in to Sears from the parking garage. No signs at Sears, so I can understand how you could end up inside the mall without passing the signs.
    Last edited by Remington788; January 3rd, 2013 at 12:44 AM.