Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Non-Resident

Default Non-Resident

Am a ccw permit holder (8 Hour trained) in the State of South Carolina. Contacted the county (Franklin) in PA I intend on travleing to inquire on their requirements. I was informed over the phone that PA would not accept my CCW from South Carolina, and that I would have to apply for a license in Franklin County, and was given the web address for the application. Upon reviewing the application, it specifically states that I must be a resident of PA for a LTCW to be issued. Dazed and confused. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am scheduled to go throught the Utah CCW Class (4 hours) on Saturday...will that help? Thanks in advance!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Non-Resident

What you read is wrong/outdated (about needing to be a Pa resident). Try Centre County, Pa. for a non-resident Pa LTCF, from what I hear they are the best way to go for non-resident.

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/centre

By the way, a Utah permit will work as well but they take a while to process their applications.

Last edited by soberbyker; December 11th, 2008 at 04:02 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldHat View Post
    Am a ccw permit holder (8 Hour trained) in the State of South Carolina. Contacted the county (Franklin) in PA I intend on travleing to inquire on their requirements. I was informed over the phone that PA would not accept my CCW from South Carolina, and that I would have to apply for a license in Franklin County, and was given the web address for the application. Upon reviewing the application, it specifically states that I must be a resident of PA for a LTCW to be issued. Dazed and confused. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am scheduled to go throught the Utah CCW Class (4 hours) on Saturday...will that help? Thanks in advance!
    Any county sheriff in the state can issue a non-resident permit. If that county is particularly unfriendly, try another. Here's one to try: http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/she...te/default.asp

Call and ask how long the turnaround is expected to be, maybe?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    What you read is wrong/outdated (about needing to be a Pa resident). Try Centre County, Pa. for a non-resident Pa LTCF, from what I hear they are the best way to go for non-resident.

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/centre

By the way, a Utah permit will work as well but they take a while to process their applications.

yep...

PA does issue non-resident LTCFs.

as a resident, you would need to get your LTCF from the sheriff of the county in which you reside. but, as a non-resident, you can get it from any county...it does not have to be issued by the county you will be visiting.

LTCFs are good throughout the state regardless of what county they are issued by.

as sober said, centre county is the place to "go" (you do not have to physically go there) to get a non-resident LTCF.

Sent out my non-resident application to Centre County today. I sincerely appreciate all of the prompt, courteous and informative replies. Thanks & I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

God Bless America!

(Northampton County)

Question Re: Non-Resident

I have a cousin who lives in NJ but also has a cabin in Monroe Co., PA that he usually goes to on weekends. If he would go for a LTCF would he have to get a non-resident LTCF since his primary residence is NJ? Thanks.

Addendum: Here is the county's website, this info looks like there are errors, check out their reciprocity section:
    Last edited by Solo; January 7th, 2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added addendum.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I have a cousin who lives in NJ but also has a cabin in Monroe Co., PA that he usually goes to on weekends. If he would go for a LTCF would he have to get a non-resident LTCF since his primary residence is NJ? Thanks.

He would have to apply for a non-resident license. Unless he has a permit from NJ, he is not eligible though. You have to have a permit/license from your home state to be eligible for a PA LTCF. He may have to go the Utah or Florida route.