Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Thumbs down This makes you want to bash the judical system

Penn. Judges Get Kickbacks for Placing Youths in Privately Owned Jails

An unprecedented case of judicial corruption is unfolding in Pennsylvania. Several hundred families have filed a class-action lawsuit against two former judges who have pleaded guilty to taking bribes in return for placing youths in privately owned jails. Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan are said to have received $2.6 million for ensuring juvenile suspects were jailed in prisons operated by the companies PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care. Some of the youths were jailed over the objections of their probation officers. An estimated 5,000 juveniles have been sentenced by Ciavarella since the scheme started in 2002. We speak to two youths sentenced by Ciavarella and to Bob Schwartz of the Juvenile Law Center. [includes rush transcript]

The full article plus a video can be found at: http://www.democracynow.org/2009/2/1...ilty_to_taking

IMHO, Pennsylvania has some of the best politicians and judges money can buy.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: This makes you want to bash the judical system

You're right: it does make you question the integrity of our judicial system. It's even worse that they're doing it to children. There is no sentence, short of death, so harsh that I wouldn't support it, in this case. This amounts to child abuse, in my opinion, and these judges deserve the harshest penalty the law allows.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Lawrence County)

It would be simple to stop this, pass a law that government corruption be considered treason, which it should be, and punishable by death. No country club prison sentences, lethal injection.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    It would be simple to stop this, pass a law that government corruption be considered treason, which it should be, and punishable by death. No country club prison sentences, lethal injection.
    You're too soft on them. An appropriate sentence would be to sentence these guys to 10 years in the worst juvenile detention center in the country. Then let all the juvenile gang-bangers, rapists and killers know that these two men are judges and that they sent kids to detention centers. I don't think they would finish their sentences. Best part, we don't have to pay the costs of a death penalty case.

Seriously, as long as they get sent to general population in any SCI, I imagine their life will be the hell they so richly deserve.

(Delaware County)

This does not have me thinking the whole judicial system is bad. I recognize that there are bad apples in every trade. BUT, as overseers of the law, these judges need to be held to a higher level and their punishment should be more severe. Death, IMHO, is not called for, but a long time in the general population of a Federal prison would be justice to me.. (I don't mind paying their taxes for them to get what's waiting for them inside the prison walls)
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

The odd part is that they let the really violent criminals out to repeat their murderous crimes. These guys should burn. There wasn't much in the report about judge #2