Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default GovTrack: H.Amdt. 49 to H.R. 1388

GovTrack: H.Amdt. 49 to H.R. 1388

H.Amdt. 49: Amendment to prohibit organizations from attempting to influence...
    Amendment to prohibit organizations from attempting to influence legislation; organize or engage in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes; and assist, promote, or deter union organizing.
    An amendment to http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1388
    Offered: Mar 18, 2009
    Sponsor: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400278 [D-CA]
    Actions: Mar 18, 2009: Amendment (A012) offered by Mr. Miller, George.
    Mar 18, 2009: On agreeing to the Miller, George amendment (A012) Agreed to by voice vote.

For more information, see the the official record on THOMAS for H.Amdt. 49.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/amen...n=111&amdt=h49 -- 111th Congress
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: GovTrack: H.Amdt. 49 to H.R. 1388

This isn't an onion post is it?? Are they serious????
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Wayne County)

lol its to the point where i dont expect anything less than this. WHERE THE HELL DO PEOPLE GET THESE IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF

(Lancaster County)

I dont see where this is in the bill. And alot of this has to do with how "organizations" will be defind. I will have to look at it in greater detail later.
    If I knew the world would come to pieces tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.

(Greene County)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty89 View Post
    I dont see where this is in the bill. And alot of this has to do with how "organizations" will be defind. I will have to look at it in greater detail later.
    Did some digging for us and found this..

Quote Originally Posted by H.Amdt. 49
    SEC. 1304. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND INELIGIBLE ORGANIZATIONS.

Section 125 (42 U.S.C. 12575) is amended to read as follows:

``SEC. 125. PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND INELIGIBLE ORGANIZATIONS.

``(a) Prohibited Activities.--A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not engage in the following activities:This would appear to refer to only those acting in an official capacity under this Act. -Vig

``(1) Attempting to influence legislation.

``(2) Organizing or engaging in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes.

``(3) Assisting, promoting, or deterring union organizing.

``(4) Impairing existing contracts for services or collective bargaining agreements.

``(5) Engaging in partisan political activities, or other activities designed to influence the outcome of an election to any public office.

``(6) Participating in, or endorsing, events or activities that are likely to include advocacy for or against political parties, political platforms, political candidates, proposed legislation, or elected officials.

``(7) Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of religious proselytization.

``(8) Providing a direct benefit to--

``(A) a business organized for profit;

``(B) a labor organization;

``(C) a partisan political organization;

``(D) a nonprofit organization that fails to comply with the restrictions contained in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 except that nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent participants from engaging in advocacy activities undertaken at their own initiative; and

``(E) an organization engaged in the religious activities described in paragraph (7), unless Corporation assistance is not used to support those religious activities.

``(9) Conducting a voter registration drive or using Corporation funds to conduct a voter registration drive.

``(10) Such other activities as the Corporation may prohibit.

``(b) Ineligible Organizations.--No assistance provided under this subtitle may be provided to the following types of organizations (including the participation of a participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle in activities conducted by such organizations) or to organizations that are co-located on the same premises as the following organizations:

``(1) Organizations that provide or promote abortion services, including referral for such services. So no gov't trimming of hedges at abortion clinics

``(2) For-profit organizations, political parties, labor organizations, or organizations engaged in political or legislative advocacy. No dusting of the NRA museum exhibits

``(3) Organizations that have been indicted for voter fraud.
    No voter registration drives for ACORN

``(c) Nondisplacement of Employed Workers or Other Volunteers.--A participant in an approved national service position under this subtitle may not perform any services or duties or engage in activities which--

``(1) would otherwise be performed by an employed worker as part of his or her assigned duties as an employee or by another volunteer who is not a participant in an approved national service position; or

``(2) will supplant the hiring of employed workers or work of such other volunteers.''.

Amend the table of contents in section 1(b) by striking the item relating to section 1304 and inserting the following:

Sec..1304..Prohibited activities and ineligible organizations.

Amend the table of contents of the National and Community Service Act of 1990 (as proposed to be amended by section 4101 of the bill) by striking the item relating to section 125 and inserting the following:

``Sec..125..Prohibited activities and ineligible organizations.''.
    It appears as if we (read, I) may be jumping the gun on this one. The snippet on GovTrack does not do the amendment justice in my opinion. Knee-jerk responses to the snippet would in my opinion be justified since the introduction fails to explain that "organization" directly refers to a group acting under the GIVE Act and could thus cause quite a stir with the choice of language...

In other words, move along, nothing to see, nor be alarmed over.
    Last edited by Vig; March 25th, 2009 at 02:15 AM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. - Samuel Adams

This amendment is a good thing.

Read:

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/03/25...ce-boondoggle/

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vig View Post
    It appears as if we (read, I) may be jumping the gun on this one. The snippet on GovTrack does not do the amendment justice in my opinion. Knee-jerk responses to the snippet would in my opinion be justified since the introduction fails to explain that "organization" directly refers to a group acting under the GIVE Act and could thus cause quite a stir with the choice of language...

In other words, move along, nothing to see, nor be alarmed over.
    Yea, I had a feeling that this was going to be the case here. The gist of this is that government sanctioned organizationes(give act) cannot be a part of the the politicle proccess. This seems like a good thing. And it is completly understandable that you could be misinformed by that snippet, it almost got me too.
    If I knew the world would come to pieces tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.