Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Out of control Sheriffs

There's much talk about taking 'offensive' legal action against Sheriffs, etc. After successful reversal of their inappropriate actions. All that talk is nice, but what are the realities? Who exactly is liable? The Sheriff individually, the Sheriff's office as an 'agency', the county as the overseeing 'authority'?

I know anybody can sue just about anybody else for any reason, but I'm looking for precedent, law citations or personal experience from attorneys or parties involved.

Also, we know that 'firearms law experts' are hard to find, and fortunately not necessary in many of these cases involving LTCF appeals. Other than word of mouth, what is a good way to find an 'expert' when needed, or even a reputable civil attorney after the fact if one is needed? Even the yellow pages is a poor option when dealing with the numerous rural locales PA encompasses.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Out of control Sheriffs

Unfortunately you would be suing the sherrif's office....meaning we all would pay for it......Am I correct?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

A few bucks to preserve a God given right?

Where do I send the $$$ ?

(Westmoreland County)

I hit on this in another thread...

It seems that our LTCF's are being targeted by anyone and everyone that is anti gun, including sheriffs! I bet you could call the sheriff and say "So and So brandished a concealed gun at me!" 1 week later that person's LTCF is revoked with no warning! We need to fight this somehow...our LTCF's shouldn't be some kind of prize for anti American sheriff's to revoke at their slightest whim! I think at the least, there should be a hearing before an LTCF can be revoked...

just my $.02

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Unfortunately you would be suing the sherrif's office....meaning we all would pay for it......Am I correct?
    Not sure. That's what I'm trying to get at. What all entities and/or parties could be legally "liable".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

The burden of proof for a denial or revocation of a LTCF absolutely has to fall on the issuing Sheriff. It is very disturbing that many of these elected officials are operating on the basis of hearsay and speculation. If there is a provable, legitimate reason to deny or revoke a LTCF, then by all means the Sheriff has a responsibility to do so. However, before the Sheriff takes action, he/she should be legally obligated to show proof to a magistrate and not be able to just revoke or deny on a whim..

As far as the right being "God Given".. I am not here to debate religion, but I don't believe any of the Founding Fathers who wrote the U.S. Constitution are considered gods by any religion that I know of...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jrbib24 View Post

As far as the right being "God Given".. I am not here to debate religion, but I don't believe any of the Founding Fathers who wrote the U.S. Constitution are considered gods by any religion that I know of...
    My theory is that the caveman didn't have to have a license to sharpen a stone and defend his family against other rouge cavemen! Therefore it was a true "God given" right. Modern man has turned this right to bear arms into a "Privilege" granted by other men...

(Erie County)

Criminal charges against the sheriff is the only thing that will do it.

File a private criminal complaint against the sheriff for official oppression. With all the statements he almost stated his actions were wrong

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    My theory is that the caveman didn't have to have a license to sharpen a stone and defend his family against other rouge cavemen! Therefore it was a true "God given" right. Modern man has turned this right to bear arms into a "Privilege" granted by other men...

How do you know? How sophisticated were the cavemen? How many cavemen were there? Should we all revert back to the ways of the caveman? Let me go get my club and loin cloth...

(Cumberland County)

I also do not wish to get into an argument about religion but the basis of the 2nd amendment was rooted in the Magna Carta as well as the fact that the VAST majority of the founding fathers claimed christianity as their religion, the bill of rights was written enumerating what they believed were "God given rights", and was designed not only to protect the RIGHTS of the populace but furthermore to restrict the government.

Now about the Sheriff issue, unfortunantly a Sheriff is an elected official, so there are political views which he will attempt to create a record on to please those who elected him. Would a lawsuit be effective??? unfortunantly that depends on the political aspirations and integrity of the judge involved. I imagine they are liable for their actions as well as those of their deputies but I don't know of any cases. Interesting thread though...I'm in bucks county and they are great here...to bad you all don't have that experience. If I can help let me know...
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast