Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Selling a AR15 rifle build

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    He got the LTCF with the intention to carry when he got the guns. Okay, then I can simply exchange cash and that's it..
    YES.

And if he's a PA resident, but lives too far away, you could MAIL it to him via the US Postal Service.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    There is no federal requirement to privately transfer a firearm (handgun or long gun) intrastate besides having no reason to believe the purchaser is prohibited or a resident of another state. There is no Pennsylvania requirement to privately transfer a long gun besides having no reason to believe the purchaser is prohibited or a resident of another state. In an ideal world, if you follow that - everything afterwards is the buyer getting in trouble, not you. If the ATF or PSP come and knock on your door in two years all you have to say is "I sold it legally, beyond that I'm not answering any questions".

Additional things like checking a LTCF or write a bill of sale are not requirements, but to satisfy your level of comfort.
    Even if it’s built on a stripped lower, you can still transfer with no FFL, correct?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by miked30-06 View Post
    I’m looking into selling my AR15 rifle build from a stripped Anderson multi caliber lower. The gun is rifle right now with a 16” upper. I know I can sell rifles in PA face to face to a PA resident, but is it legal to sell this gun on the federal and state level with no background check? I would just use a FFL but they are all shut down and I’m not looking to have the ATF knocking on my door one day years from now. Any help is appreciated, especially if you are a FFL, thanks in advance
    You are fine to sell it as described.
    It's no different than selling a shotgun, or a 22 bolt action - the fact that it was a "build" has no relevance to the transaction you described.

It's a long gun. So long as you have no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, and he/she is a PA resident, you may sell it without doing a transfer at an FFL.

As mentioned, some feel better requiring a bill of sale to be filled out by each party.
    Some are OK with just seeing the LTCF. (it's a good thing to see, but isn't necessarily a guarantee that it is valid - you wouldn't know if it's been revoked)
    An FFL transfer is a "cover your ass", but no, it's not required, and no federal laws will be broken by selling it FTF.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Even if it’s built on a stripped lower, you can still transfer with no FFL, correct?
    Yes, if it's not currently in pistol format. Also as long as the original FFL you got it from didn't screw something up and transfer it as a pistol (and have you fill out the PSP form SP4-113 - the additional form you have to do for a handgun).

(Philadelphia County)

Ok I talked to a local FFL today and I’m not sure he’s right but he said people transfer builds every day but it’s not really leagal(it’s a gray area he said)because if the “build gun” ever turned up in the wrong hands the ATF could come back to me and accuse me of being a “manufacturer”. He said to be safe he would never sell a build, he said hes never seen it but it is a possibility, chances are very slim but it’s a risk that definitely isn’t worth taking, thoughts?

(Wyoming County)

Ok I talked to a local FFL today and I’m not sure he’s right but he said people transfer builds every day but it’s not really leagal(it’s a gray area he said)because if the “build gun” ever turned up in the wrong hands the ATF could come back to me and accuse me of being a “manufacturer”. He said to be safe he would never sell a build, he said hes never seen it but it is a possibility, chances are very slim but it’s a risk that definitely isn’t worth taking, thoughts?
    Your FFL is full of shit. It's very much legal to sell. The key is "did you assemble (manufacture) with the intent to sell?" If not, then you can sell it. The burden to prove that you intended to sell during the assembly is on the gov.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; March 23rd, 2020 at 02:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12