Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Want to build 1911. Where do I start?

I've got this bug to build a 1911.

I've heard of the Patriot C.O.P. course, but I want a range toy, not a service pistol, and the class/parts are fairly expensive.

Can I get enough out of a book and/or video series to build a rock solid 1911?

There's not much question in my mind that I can do it, it's just a matter of finding the information to do it right the first time.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Want to build 1911. Where do I start?

sarco has a whole parts kit for $199
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html
    then pick a frame.

IMHO i would not bother going this route.
    get yourself a rock island 1911, digital caliper, and a small file set.practice taking your 1911 down to bare frame. once that becomes easy, go shopping for custom parts. some 1911 parts need filing to fit. so with having a stock part that fits it will be easier for you to file to spec. skip taking the course. alot of good info can be found on the net.

Links

Gun http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands-new.html

digital caliper http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47256

file set http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4614

Disassembly vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBrkF0sMgI

disassembly info http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/field_strip.html
    (reassembly tip, be gentile with the sear spring it can be bent out or whack, can be bent back by hand. so if your having problems with the hammer or trigger check the spring 1st)

1911 forums http://forums.1911forum.com/

good luck with the project. be warned 1911's become addicting..

(Monroe County)

I have 1911`s but never built one. I`m guessing it`s like building a chopper. Anybody can buy a catalog and order a daytec from, S&S motor, revtec 6 speed, etc and bolt then together but to really fine tune it and make parts and improvise so it becomes a work of art that also performs takes something. You have to ask, do I want a bike in a box or a custom?

Sounds like fun but I don`t have the smithing skills to make a 1911 a truly custom one of a kind. Good luck.

(Indiana County)

Take a chunk of steel. Remove everything that doesn't look like a 1911. Problem solved.

THere might be some technical issues involved. I'm neither a gunsmith nor machinist, but thought you might like the levity.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Take a chunk of steel. Remove everything that doesn't look like a 1911. Problem solved.

THere might be some technical issues involved. I'm neither a gunsmith nor machinist, but thought you might like the levity.
    Yeah, I thought it was funny.

I've actually thought of going the RIA route, but I had a job go to China on me, and I really don't like the idea of buying a pistol made in the Philippines. Besides that, I want a tight slide-to-frame fit that I don't think the RIA guns will have.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was funny.

I've actually thought of going the RIA route, but I had a job go to China on me, and I really don't like the idea of buying a pistol made in the Philippines. Besides that, I want a tight slide-to-frame fit that I don't think the RIA guns will have.
    Start with a Kimber Classic Custom II... roughly 500 or so... then go from there

(Centre County)

I have a RIA and mine (no guarantee of others) has an extremely tight barrel/slide fit. Find someplace and handle one. The only thing I did to mine is to change the sights (so far). It shoots great and I paid $350 for it. And IIRC RIA (Armscor) has always been made in the PI.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Nothing wrong with my RIA 1911. I am really only replacing the recoil spring to help with one feeding issue I've had (sometimes a round will not feed fully, little tap with my hand and it goes in.). I bought the tactical model and so i was happy with it. For what its worth some people have said that they run right out of the box without any break in period, and I've read others who have owned the higher end models and found the RIAs to be more reliable and overall nicer to shoot.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Berks County)

I would opt for GunsRfun's first suggestion. Buying a sack of parts, getting a frame then building, fitting and customizing to your tastes is really fun. Let alone how much you will learn.

Yes, you can buy an RIA, then get some aftermarket add ons. But anyone can just go buy one and do that.

I have built several rifles from kits and tore down and completely refurbished several others. Very satisfying to go from a box of parts to a finished shooting product.

My .02
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Delaware County)

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go ahead and buy parts and fit them all together.

STI single stack frame with full-length dustcover, a fancy SVI slide with the interchangable breech, a cool skeletonized hammer, one of them triggers with the interchangable shoes until I find what I like. . . .

I've got Glocks to carry and shoot until I get all the parts together and get the thing built.

If you've got a lotta time and interest in this kind of thing, check out The 1911 Project.
    Last edited by Suburban; June 7th, 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast