Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: first reloads!

(Bucks County)

Default first reloads!

well after a long time of thinkin, i went out and bought the RCBS supreme reloading kit, read the book it came with along with the abc's book, and nosler 6th edition book beforehand. i felt i understood the process and finally decided to give it a shot today. i had mounted my press and set up some things last week. i got some primers, powder, and bullets, and just went for it. It took about an hour because i was reading step by step and double checking every step, adjusting the dies, getting used to the scale, and measuring with the caliper, etc. i loaded only 10 rounds of 7mm rem. I figured i would shoot half a box or full box of factory ammunition i have, to get a feel for the accuracy (although i pretty much have it set in and everything) and then try some groups with my new reloaded stuff. i will try and post some pics of what happens tomorrow at the range. Here is what i reloaded:

Brass: Federal
    Primer: Fed 215 magnum
    Powder: IMR 4891
    Grains: 59.3 ( i just kinda got an average from some books)
    Bullets: 168gr Sierra Match King Hollow Point Boat tail

Does anybody have any experience with this caliber that they reload for? im shooting out of an A-bolt 26" factory barrel

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: first reloads!

Slow and steady is the way to start them all. Don't make the mistake of loading 50 rounds of pistol ammunition ( Like me ), only to find out they don't cycle like they should. I learned to do 10 at a time for a new load. Nothing is more frustrating than running all the reloaded ammo through a kinetic bullet puller!

Brad

(Bucks County)

Slow and steady is the way to start them all. Don't make the mistake of loading 50 rounds of pistol ammunition ( Like me ), only to find out they don't cycle like they should. I learned to do 10 at a time for a new load. Nothing is more frustrating than running all the reloaded ammo through a kinetic bullet puller!

Brad
    yea i figured start out with a small batch just in case. if these turn out ok, then i know i did it right, then i guess the fun begins in trying different powders and bullets and primers, oh my...lol..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post

Brad
    ouch...

that does suck.....

the g/fs Dad actually put a bullet puller through the top of a dresser before...
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Welcome to the "Dark Side". Load one round with no primer or powder to see if it fits in the action. That's something most reloaders have learned the hard way.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Welcome to the "Dark Side". Load one round with no primer or powder to see if it fits in the action. That's something most reloaders have learned the hard way.
    hmmph..i never thought of that, but wouldnt it fit even if the overall lenght is within the max?

(York County)

sizing die is set to contact shell holder for full lenght sizing, or less for neck sizing, when loading bottlenecked cartridges. bullet ogive (curved shape) may vary by manufacturer and jam in lands, etc.