Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default TO CARRY OR NOT TO CARRY?

Lets say you have been carrying for years and then for some reason or another you had your LTCF revoked for what you think is an unjust reason...but still and all, it is what it is, the law is the law..would you still carry in places that were high crime? For work or a family member lived there or whatever? I know we all respect and follow the law but is your life worth following the law?

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

Default Re: TO CARRY OR NOT TO CARRY?

IANAL, but assuming the reason you got revoked isnt a disqualifier from possessing firearms, or obtaining an out of state LTC I believe you could still carry on that.

That said I see no reason for a will you or won't you break the law when it comes time shitfest, no offense obliviously but I do hate these types of threads.

you can still OC, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman22 View Post
    Lets say you have been carrying for years and then for some reason or another you had your LTCF revoked for what you think is an unjust reason...but still and all, it is what it is, the law is the law..would you still carry in places that were high crime? For work or a family member lived there or whatever? I know we all respect and follow the law but is your life worth following the law?
    IANAL, but I think even if you succeed on justifiable homicide with a self-defense, the crime of illegally carrying will stick. And you don't even have to need to use it. Some stupid accident and the police find it ... busted.

On the other hand it boils down, as your subject blatantly hints, to the all famous Shakespeare question.

Okay, let's face it at point blank. Either scenario will ruin/destroy my life. I could get killed because I cannot defend myself (even though I carry a knife and mace and wear steel cap boots). I could carry a gun illegally and get busted by some stupid mishap. I could carry a gun illegally and need to use it which leads to busted (unless I can flee).

It has been stated over and over that the brain is the most powerful weapon and that situation awareness can keep you out of most trouble. I think I'd take my chances and rather not carry illegally.

Does this "hypothetical" case have any hope to gain back the LTCF?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Monroe County)

Thats your call. An uncle of mine who lives in NYC has been carrying for over 30 years. You know he cant carry legally.. He got caught once and did some jail time. Atleast he's still alive..
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

I wouldn't break the law and carry concealed, cause I wouldn't want the possibilty of gettin locked up; but I would still open carry all the time - unless I was in Philly, of course.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by xxflyboixx View Post
    I wouldn't break the law and carry concealed, cause I wouldn't want the possibilty of gettin locked up; but I would still open carry all the time - unless I was in Philly, of course.
    I hope you have comfortable shoes, because unless you plan on walking everywhere you go, that isn't a workable "plan".

ETA: And yes, these "announce to the world that you will break the law" threads make my head hurt too.
    Last edited by Emptymag; May 9th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman22 View Post
    Sometimes (okay, most of the time) I can be downright annoyingly law-abiding (and I can find lots of people to testify to this). The older I get, the better I've gotten - my sensibilities are slowly (glacially) leaning more towards 'spirit of the law' rather than 'letter of the law' as I age.

Some swear that I lead a charmed life - but, from my perspective, the day my Inspection Sticker expires is usually the day I'll get pulled over for a suddenly faulty tail light. Basically, while I might be counted by some as lucky, I have no faith in luck whatsoever.

In opposition to the media (and everyone else I knew at the time), I considered Bernard Goetz as a hero when I first heard of his case back in 1985. Sadly, though, in spite of my deep belief in the individual Right to Bear Arms, I just don't think I'd have the guts to break the 'unconstitutional' laws that would prohibit me from carrying (in both Mr. Geotz's case and in the OP's scenario).

So, I would not carry concealed or at any time I might enter a vehicle if my LTCF were revoked for 'whatever' reason (no matter how unjust that reason may be). However, I would spend as much time as possible staying within walking distance of my home and I would Openly Carry; and, of course, I would fight the revocation (in court, in the press, et cetera) as much as I could afford to.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Philadelphia County)

[QUOTE=Emptymag;729445]I hope you have comfortable shoes, because unless you plan on walking everywhere you go, that isn't a workable "plan".

LOL - very true....I didn't think of that. Nevermind then...

(Northumberland County)

best thing to do it if your caught carrying play dumb and they wil let you off wiht a slap on the wrist tell em u didnt know it was revoked you never got the letter... it has to be certified delivered by the sheriff in order to be legally in writ , if that never happened then play DUMB!
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; May 9th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast