Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Boss wants me to carry?

The big boss for the company I work for called me into his office and informed me that the company will not take action against me if I were to be carrying my gun. Out of sight of course. I asked what brought this on and he would not say.

His secretary told me one of the women VP's was told by her ex that he was going to kill her.

Sounds to me like it is cool for me to carry when THEY feel THEY need protection but not when I feel I need protection.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Boss wants me to carry?

Well isn't that convienient. It's pretty funny how fast people will change their tune when THEY need something.

(Philadelphia County)

Ignore the hypocrisy and use it as a chance to change some people's minds, they've already taken the first step and they've showed that not only are they ok with having a gun in their offices, they trust YOU to be the person with it.

There's a few profound statements hidden in the whole situation.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    His secretary told me one of the women VP's was told by her ex that he was going to kill her.

Sounds to me like it is cool for me to carry when THEY feel THEY need protection but not when I feel I need protection.
    If you use deadly force to intervene, just keep in mind YOU are the one facing criminal and civil liability. If they're using you as impromptu security, it would be nice to get some legal backup, maybe something in writing from the CEO or head of HR, so they can't deny it all later.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    If you use deadly force to intervene, just keep in mind YOU are the one facing criminal and civil liability. If they're using you as impromptu security, it would be nice to get some legal backup, maybe something in writing from the CEO or head of HR, so they can't deny it all later.
    This would actually be worse, carrying a gun as a legitimate job duty requires a whole separate set of licensing (ACT235) I believe.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    This would actually be worse, carrying a gun as a legitimate job duty requires a whole separate set of licensing (ACT235) I believe.
    Indeed. So the trade-off is: do I want to be able to carry hassle-free at work, but with the knowledge that I'm at fairly high risk for a real gunfight and every nasty thing that entails...AND my employer doesn't have my back.

There's no clear yes/no answer here, but it is worth thinking twice about.

(Philadelphia County)

Indeed. So the trade-off is: do I want to be able to carry hassle-free at work, but with the knowledge that I'm at fairly high risk for a real gunfight and every nasty thing that entails...AND my employer doesn't have my back.

There's no clear yes/no answer here, but it is worth thinking twice about.
    The way I see it is she's at risk regardless of whether or not her boss wants her to carry or backs her up, so it's great he's letting her do so.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    The way I see it is she's at risk regardless of whether or not her boss wants her to carry or backs her up, so it's great he's letting her do so.
    Agreed: if it were me, I'd carry if allowed in a heartbeat. After all, if there's going to be a workplace shooting anyway, this way you have options. One such option of course is to defend yourself and the others can fend for themselves.

The one point I would take away from this is that being a good Samaritan is, at best, a tremendous risk, AND don't count on company support. When it's all over, they're looking to limit liability and with no paper record of this discussion, they will cut you loose, legally. So pocket the permission to CCW, but look out for yourself here.

EDITED TO ADD: my advice is to carry a micro-cassette, and discretely capture the boss's "off the record" request for posterity -- just in case.

(Allegheny County)

The company I work for has no policy on firearms.

The safety director ( a shooter) told me that knowing I was into shooting and firearms training.

I've already had my supervisor look at me when we were looking at a job in a low income housing project and ask "you packing?". My nod was answered with "good". I carry daily except in the federal facilities I sometimes work in.

Siobhra, as long as the VP doesn't tell her ex to stay away from her work because YOU are armed. Might make you a target. I doubt your work will sign any kind of statement to limit your liability.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

EDITED TO ADD: my advice is to carry a micro-cassette, and discretely capture the boss's "off the record" request for posterity -- just in case.
    As far as I know, this is very bad advice.

It is illegal to record somebody without their consent, and furthermore, such evidence would not be allowed in a court of law, should it come to that.

I'd tell your boss that you thank him for his offer, and that you will take this into account and consideration. Never say yes, and never say no. Leave it at maybe.

As it has already been mentioned before, if everybody in the office knows you have a gun, it makes you a target.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast