Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shooting near Pittsburgh?

I just moved to Pittsburgh from Portland oregon. I used to drive 30 minutes in to the woods and shoot all I wanted. I have found that I can not do this here.
    Is there some where close (45 minutes) That I can take my AR and AK and shoot away?
    I read about the ranges BLM offers, but they don't allow hi cap loading and I would assume they don't want those three shots going off as a group?
    Best

Michael

pittsburgh shooting range
    Last edited by danp; November 3rd, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

(Allegheny County)

What part of Pittsburgh do you live in?

(Allegheny County)

I live in Squirrel hill.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
    II read about the ranges BLM offers, but they don't allow hi cap loading and I would assume they don't want those three shots going off as a group?
    the PA game commission (PGC) runs free ranges throughout the state (prolly what you were thinking of as BLM ranges).

there is one near the intersection of route 910 and interstate 79 (about 25 minutes from downtown pittsburgh). i posted directions in a thread back when this site was pretty new...should still be around somewhere.

the PGC ranges do have a 3 round limit in rifles, but there isn't an issue (at the one at 910/79) at least with shooting them quickly. i fire off quick 3 round strings with my ARs there and never had any problems. also, you can have 6 rounds in a handgun. i fire off quick 5 shot strings with my glock and never had a problem.

as far as no round limits, shooting on the move, etc. i used to go to the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club for that, but it is now closed (hopefully temporarily). still haven't found another place to do that.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shooting near Pittsburgh?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    as far as no round limits, shooting on the move, etc. i used to go to the Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club for that, but it is now closed (hopefully temporarily). still haven't found another place to do that.
    Try looking into Pitcairn - Monroeville Sportsmans Club. It's on Rt48 close to Rt30:

http://www.pmsconline.com/about_us/about_us.htm
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

thanks todd.

yeah, i plan to check that place out. i've just been so frickin' busy lately, i haven't had a chance to.

from the description on their website, they sound sort of OK. from tony's description, though, it sounds really cool.

their website doesn't seem to make any mention of the IDPA style bunkers, shoothouse, etc. that tony mentioned in his post about them in the ranges section. the website also shows very limited hours for the indoor pistol range and mentions something about only being able to use the outdoor range "when an RO is available" or something like that.

all of this made me sort of think "eh...not really for me" when i first researched the place, but tony's post piqued my interest more...just haven't had a chance to act on it.

i did find some mention on the site about what you have to do to get a key to the indoor pistol range....which leads me to think maybe you can actually shoot there anytime you want if you meet the requirements to get a key.

ideally, i'm looking for a place with IDPA style bunkers where you can go anytime (or at least anytime it is daylight outside) to shoot on the move, from different positions, etc.--preferably with both pistol and carbine--and a place with an indoor pistol range where you can shoot jacketed bullets late at night (as that seems to be the only time i routinely have free time these days). a rifle range over 100 yards would be cool, too.

from their website, pitcairn-monroeville doesn't really seem to fit the bill...however, from tony's post, it sounds like it fits it to a T. maybe they just expanded a bunch and haven't updated their website.

(Fayette County)

I have been there for other events, and I think they do have a full outdoor range. Can't say for certain since I have not actually shot there, but during the event I attended, there was a lot of noise from the range.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Shooting near Pittsburgh?

LRT:

Try going up there on a Thursday night around 7pm (Except the 3rd Thursday of the month). Drive up in and back to the right. You will see a block building on the right of the road, lights on and lots of vehicles. That is the "Combination Building". Combination indoor pistol range and meeting room attached.

They practice up there on Thursday nights for pistol competitions. You can check it out, talk to the guys, pick up an application and get a feel for the place. I was told about the pistol ranges up on the hill. Apparently is like Tony says. Also, when you jion you can take a class to learn how to operate the indoor range and then get your own access key.

I just got my membership card last week. I stopped up there on a Thursday night, talked to the guys and I was convinced. You got nothing to loose by checking it out. They are also offering a special membership price if you join now before the end of the year. Happy Shooting!!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III