Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Question 1st time reloading ?

Hi All,
    Tried reloading tonight, .45, when expanding casing first time would not allow proper OAL so i re-did expanding cartridge to reach the proper OAL. When I did this the brass seemed to buckle in mid-point, I loaded a mag with 5 rounds to try cycling them (non fires) first round would seat, second round (after ejecting 1st rd ) jammed the slide. Slide is about 1/8 inch from battery. I will take gun to range tomorrow to try to remove jammed round, any hints!!!
    Thaks, hgsw67

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

Default Re: 1st time reloading ?

Try to hold the slide with your left hand. Hold it tight. Hold the slide only, not the frame.

Now use your right hand and give the grip a good foward push.

It should eject your round.

You need to taper crimp those loads to make them fit inside your chamber. Invest in a case guage that you can drop cartridges in. They ensure saami spec sizes.

(Centre County)

Pictures would give us a better way to troubleshoot this. Really can't get much from your description.

What I use is a 4 step process.
    1. I resize and then check the length of the casing to see if it needs to be trimmed or not (especially if they have been fired and resized several times).
    2. I set the expander die to put just enough bell on the mouth for the bullet to sit by itself.
    3. Then I set my seating die to seat the bullet to the correct depth with not crimp applied.
    4. I then use a taper crimp die to squeeze the case mouth back in against the bullet.

You don't want a roll crimp on ammo used in semi-autos, they headspace on the case mouth.

You do need to have a bit of a bell on the case mouth so the bullet goes in easily.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Pike County)

Thanks Guys,
    I'll have to wait till tomorrow to apply more force on the slide/grip. I look into the taper crimp. currently I'm using an RCBS press along with the .45 carbide 3 die set from RCBS. I send some pics later if I can, I appreciate all the help
    hgsw67

I don't have RCBS dies but on my Lee dies you have to set the die up correctly to seat the bullet to the proper depth. I had this same problem. Your die should be set so you can pull the arm of the press down completely without crushing the casing. If the die is set too low you'll seat the bullet and if you keep pushing the case crushes and bulges. If you get it so you can completely lower the ram and it just barely hits the top of the casing then adjust the top screw on the die to adjust bullet depth I think this will solve your problem. I hope this makes sense It's kind of hard to describe.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Pike County)

Thanks Chris,
    Thats exactly the problem, When I set the dies as per their packaged instructions the bullet seats but my oal is way off( too long). When i adjust the die to seat it deeper i get a case that bellys out about half way down the case. I'll keep trying, probably go see Ralph later (30 year reloader), maybe pick up some points with him.
    Thnks, Harry

(Monroe County)

Hi Harry,
    I had the same exact problem you're seeing. I posted a thread here somewhere about it a week or two ago.
    It jams the slide because you overcrimped the case into the bullet. Whats happening is the edge of the case is not hitting the barrel leade, it's slightly entering the rifling of the barrel. Lighten up on your crimp but maintain your seating depth. On the seating die, you have to adjust both the seating and crimping. Easiest way I found was to raise the seating screw so that just a small amount of the bullet seats. Now adjust the crimp until it's tight enough to not spin the bullet then slowly lower the seating screw until you got the OAL. Use a factory round to get an idea of what the crimp should look like.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by hgsw67 View Post
    I will take gun to range tomorrow to try to remove jammed round, any hints!!!
    Thaks, hgsw67
    I don't want to suggest anything since it could damage your pistol or possibly be a dangerous action so I will simply tell you how I unjammed my XD9.

1st, I Man-handle the slide back. Keep your fingers away from the trigger, it's a live round!
    2nd, If you simply could not get the slide back, see if it can be forced forward to lock and fire the round.
    3rd, bring it to a gunsmith?
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

I don't know how tough the rear sight is on your gun, but if it's pretty sturdy you could use it to help extract the round. Just hold on to the grip, put the rear sight on something that won't scratch like a wood workbench and try to force the slide open. Just make sure the muzzle is not pointing anywhere dangerous. People use the rear sight all the time for racking the slide for one hand reload drills.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.