Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Picked up a new PC

Since my old one was on it's last leg, I decided to purchase a new one and this is what I got:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1197075131085

Proud member of:

Default Re: Picked up a new PC

I just got that computer like a week and a half ago, i'm really happy with it

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I just got that computer like a week and a half ago, i'm really happy with it
    Good stuff.

I was looking at a few others, but this one had the best reviews so I went with this one. So far I like it alot. It's like night and day difference compiared to my 7 year old Dell, lol.

Proud member of:

(Philadelphia County)

Nice machine! Throw Crysis up on there and see how she does.

One thing, its an HP from Best Buy. Nuke that hard-drive, and install fresh. I'll be even faster. And if you ever take it back to Best Buy for maintenance or any other of their rip-off service, I'll give you negative rep.

I wonder how HD-DVD will do as recordable media for computers, given that Blu-Ray just about killed it on the home video market.

http://www.futuremark.com/download/

Download 3dmark06, and see what score you get! (along with the pretty graphics!)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

I second LD on that one! You need a fresh install pronto.

That's close to the stats of my next machine, except I'm really considering a terabyte drive.

(Chester County)

I have a 9040 and I love it. It has pretty much the same pc except for the HD DVD.

Are you going to run the matrix raid? I had last years model and I crashed 6 hard drives.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveXD View Post
    I have a 9040 and I love it. It has pretty much the same pc except for the HD DVD.

Are you going to run the matrix raid? I had last years model and I crashed 6 hard drives.
    Yeah you only really gotta be careful they're not shite Maxtor drives or anything, they tend to overheat and I saw an official response from Maxtor already saying their drives shouldnt be run more than a few hours at a time so they dont overheat

I know this from experience because about two years ago I had my PC in a RAID 0 config. for best performance and it crashed 3x, and anyone who knows anything about RAID 0 knows that if you lose one, you lose both of em. They were always the Maxtor drives that originally came with the system. After that debacle I just build a new Core2 rig with two Seagate 320GB/16Mb cache drives and ive never had a problem yet.

Anyway, great PC you got there, gotta love the Core2 Quad processors, I got a C2D, Intel D965WH Mobo, and Vista Ultimate (two keys, one for 32-bit, one for 64-bit, both unique) for $200 when I did the Intel RetailEdge Program. I've been using Vista Ultimate 64-bit since then and I havent had an issue.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Nice machine! Throw Crysis up on there and see how she does.

One thing, its an HP from Best Buy. Nuke that hard-drive, and install fresh. I'll be even faster. And if you ever take it back to Best Buy for maintenance or any other of their rip-off service, I'll give you negative rep.

I wonder how HD-DVD will do as recordable media for computers, given that Blu-Ray just about killed it on the home video market.

http://www.futuremark.com/download/

Download 3dmark06, and see what score you get! (along with the pretty graphics!)
    Thanks.

I'm not super concerned right now with making it faster, because it's already insanely fast compaired to my old one, and plenty fast for what I need it for. Rest assured, though, that I will never take it to Best Buy for any rip-off service, haha.

Personally, I hope HD-DVD fails on all fronts. I'm a Blu-Ray fan.

I'll be sure and download it, I'm curious what it would get.

Proud member of:

(Lehigh County)

sigh...

OK, congrats on the upgrade, but... grr... you could've gotten more for your money.

I would build you a system at cost just to stick it to the big-box store.

If you EVER want to upgrade any part of your new rig, ask me... I will help you! and save you $$$.

Do you know those twats at BB charge $35 to install RAM??? Duh.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ten*K View Post
    sigh...

OK, congrats on the upgrade, but... grr... you could've gotten more for your money.

I would build you a system at cost just to stick it to the big-box store.

If you EVER want to upgrade any part of your new rig, ask me... I will help you! and save you $$$.

Do you know those twats at BB charge $35 to install RAM??? Duh.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the offer. I wish I knew more about building them so I could do it myself, but I never took the time to learn.

Definitely a rip-off at $35 for something thats takes all of what? 5 minutes.

Proud member of:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast