Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default question for NFA/Class 3 folks

The past two shows I went to were mainly class 3/NFA. Lots of cool looking guns ranging from 5,000-85,000 on the floor. My price range for pretty much any gun show purchase stops at 2K, I just don't have money in the budget for the heavy small arms.

Obviously those who can and do buy these firearms appreciate discretion, yet it makes me wonder; who buys these toys?

Just curious.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: question for NFA/Class 3 folks

Let's look at it this way. Some people spend their money on expensive 40K+ Suv's, sports cars, etc, some people spend their money on boats, some people spend their money on expensive vacations -- and lastly, some people spend their money on NFA toys. It just comes down to what you like to buy with your money.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by original gunner View Post
    The past two shows I went to were mainly class 3/NFA. Lots of cool looking guns ranging from 5,000-85,000 on the floor. My price range for pretty much any gun show purchase stops at 2K, I just don't have money in the budget for the heavy small arms.

Obviously those who can and do buy these firearms appreciate discretion, yet it makes me wonder; who buys these toys?

Just curious.
    People with more money than you or I?

The truth is if you look at the past 20-30 years NFA items, mostly the machineguns, have increased in price at unheard of rates. The fact is that they have consistantly killed the stock market as far as rate of return. Many people buy them as an investment that they can have a little fun with.

That being said I personally think the prices have hit a limit and are starting to come down a bit now. Anything, even NFA toys, is only worth what people are willing to or are able to pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post

The truth is if you look at the past 20-30 years NFA items, mostly the machineguns, have increased in price at unheard of rates. The fact is that they have consistantly killed the stock market as far as rate of return. Many people buy them as an investment that they can have a little fun with.

That being said I personally think the prices have hit a limit and are starting to come down a bit now. Anything, even NFA toys, is only worth what people are willing to or are able to pay for them.
    I've wondered about NFA as an investment, but to me tinkering in the "regular" market might see more financial returns. Class 3/NFA is a different system and classification than the majority 2A population. Buying NFA means selling to NFA. And if I know firearms, not many buy with the purpose of selling.

MHO.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post

You have not been able to purchase a newly manufactured MG since May of 1986. So, the supply is set in stone. As people realized that you could buy NFA, that created more demand than supply (since supply is fixed).

I think the thing that made NFA go through the roof was the internet. Once word got out that regular people could own them people started buying more.

Back in the late 80's early 90's, you could still buy uzi's for 1k and Colt m16's for 2-3k. Heck, HK sears were $500 - $1000. But again, when everyone realized you could own them (via internet chatter) they started selling like hot cakes and prices went up.

Right now, the economy is in the toilet so people are selling toys to pay their mortgages. This is bringing down the selling price of NFA because there is more supply than demand. Had you bought that m16 before the 86 ban or shortly after and you now need money does it make sense to hold out for the 15K price of 2 years ago or sell it for 13K for a quick sale -- when you need to pay your bills -- especially when you only paid 2k for it.

Also, the crazy ammo prices are hurting NFA sales too. Say you buy that colt m16 for 13k -- then you need to feed it. You could easily burn through 500 - 1000 rounds of ammo in one days shooting and at $500 per 1k off ammo, that sure adds up fast.

I think those factors are what is driving prices down now.

When the economy turns around, NFA prices will once again rise but who knows if it will be at the same rate as before. I'm thinking no, because just like everything else, people have their spending limits.

Don't buy NFA as an investment buy it for the toy it is -- that also happens to hold it's resale value pretty well. Even if you bought high and sold low, you still had months / years of enjoyment out of it -- and that had to be worth something to you.

(Northampton County)

You can have anything you want, you just can't have everything you want.

(York County)

You will rarely meet someone that tells you they bought their NFA item strictly for investment purposes. Many current NFA owners would be delighted if the NFA laws were repealed, bringing a new market flooded with NFA items and the price coming back down to reality.

(Franklin County)

A good friend of mine, a MD and a LLD, owns a nice house in a nice residential area of Virginia. When I visit him, I notice the other houses have brass stars, copper lines roofs, jet-ski's, Cadallic SUV's, Porsches, gigantic sized TV's in every room, visible through the street. He drives a Ford Ranger. He's also got more NFA weapons than I could ever dream of, hes got a Ma Deuce for Christ-sakes! Priorities ... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by original gunner View Post

Just curious.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    You will rarely meet someone that tells you they bought their NFA item strictly for investment purposes. Many current NFA owners would be delighted if the NFA laws were repealed, bringing a new market flooded with NFA items and the price coming back down to reality.
    Is there any group pushing for this? If not, why not? It seems 2A political movements are busy playing defense, which is a sure way to slowly lose ground.