Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default FFL transfer question

For all you FFL holders out there...

Here's the scenario:
    A local fellow moves to Arizona and leaves his revolver w/ a buddy in hopes he can sell it for him because he didn't want/need to take it with him.

I'd like to buy this revolver. What must occur in order to get the deal done?

Power of attorney to the buddy so he can act as his agent? I will only buy if all is legal schmeagle. Thanks in advance for your experienced input.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: FFL transfer question

The revolver needs to be "delivered" to an FFL, either in person or by contract carrier from the owner. The FFL logs the revolver in from the owner.
    The buyer goes to said FFL and completes paperwork (Fed 4473 and PA sp-4) pays for transfer and goeshome w/revolver.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    The revolver needs to be "delivered" to an FFL, either in person or by contract carrier from the owner. The FFL logs the revolver in from the owner.
    The buyer goes to said FFL and completes paperwork (Fed 4473 and PA sp-4) pays for transfer and goeshome w/revolver.
    So, it's ok for his buddy (living here) to deliver it to an FFL? No sweat to the actual owner in Arizona? I thought possibly there'd be some kind of illegality or hassle for the "middle guy" because the gun is not his.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhands View Post
    So, it's ok for his buddy (living here) to deliver it to an FFL? No sweat to the actual owner in Arizona? I thought possibly there'd be some kind of illegality or hassle for the "middle guy" because the gun is not his.
    I know of no law that would prohibit the "buddy" from being the "contract carrier"... But IANAL

He, the buddy, would need a LTCF to "borrow" the handgun from the owner though, per the PA code.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Centre County)

As Pa Patriot said above.

Remember that once the FFL takes possession of the gun it is his "property". The aquisition/disposition book has a place for where the gun came from and where it went. When the person buying fills out the PA form (in the case of a handgun), the bottom of the form can be filled out with the Arizona guys info (if anyone has it) and in the signature block "Not available for signature" can put in. Really no different than someone ordering a gun on line and having it sent to me to do the transfer, there is no signature in the block. OR, the buddy can get a limited power of attorney to be able to sell the gun (but this is really overkill).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Columbia County)

Gentlemen..... thank you VERY much for your input!