Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default Brookville locks down hospital after weapons scare

Brookville locks down hospital after weapons scare
    Local Content - Local News
    Written by Matthew Steffy
    Thursday, 02 July 2009
    BROOKVILLE — An accident along Route 36 and a person’s overreaction led to the momentary lockdown of Brookville Hospital Tuesday. County Control reported a man, angered by the accident, was carrying a gun and traveling toward the hospital around 4 p.m.

The hospital quickly went on lockdown and remained that way for roughly 15 minutes, according to hospital President/CEO John S. Sutika.

The accident occurred on Route 36 about a half-mile north of the borough, which is the jurisdiction of Pennsylvania State Police, according to Brookville Police Chief Ken Dworek.

State police were not able to respond due to a shift change, but emergency response crews from Sigel and Pine Creek arrived on the scene.

The first responders reported that there was a man at the traffic scene who had a gun, and that the man was the fiance of a woman involved in the crash.

Brookville Borough Police responded to assist, and County Control announced that the ambulance was en route to the hospital, with the armed man following.

At that time, the hospital was put on lockdown. Sutika said that the procedure went smoothly, and that all staff performed very well.

Dworek followed the vehicle through heavy rain, and Brookville Officer Vince Markle went to the hospital and waited for the man to arrive.

When the ambulance arrived, the man, still following, pulled to the left. The officers approached the man with guns drawn and found three firearms.

According to Dworek, all weapons were legal and registered, and the man was licensed to carry them.

“The man was very cooperative and made no threat to the hospital at any time,” Dworek said. “The situation was very well-handled. We were assisted by the sheriff. The guy just wasn’t a threat. He was upset that his fiance was in an accident, and maybe he overreacted.”
    they're selling make believe and we don't buy that here

Default Re: Brookville locks down hospital after weapons scare

sounds as if the EMTs overreacted on the sight of a normal citizen carrying a firearm...

According to Dworek, all weapons were legal and registered, and the man was licensed to carry them.
    ARRRRRGHHH!

So.... what if they had not been in the sales database? He would have been charged with something???

(Warren County)

[QUOTE=bull2969;797081]Brookville locks down hospital after weapons scare
    Local Content - Local News
    Written by Matthew Steffy
    Thursday, 02 July 2009
    BROOKVILLE — An accident along Route 36 and a person’s overreaction led to the momentary lockdown of Brookville Hospital Tuesday. County Control reported a man, angered by the accident, was carrying a gun and traveling toward the hospital around 4 p.m.

The accident occurred on Route 36 about a half-mile north of the borough, which is the jurisdiction of Pennsylvania State Police, according to Brookville Police Chief Ken Dworek.

State police were not able to respond due to a shift change, but emergency response crews from Sigel and Pine Creek arrived on the scene.

/QUOTE]

And that, children, is another reason that armed citizens are a Good Thing.

(Mercer County)

The officers approached the man with guns drawn and found three firearms.

“The man was very cooperative and made no threat to the hospital at any time,” Dworek said. “The situation was very well-handled. We were assisted by the sheriff. The guy just wasn’t a threat. He was upset that his fiance was in an accident, and maybe he overreacted.”
    I think the reporter got the quotes mixed up. Someone overreacted - and I don't think it was the fiance.

(Chester County)

I dont think it was the fiance that over reacted...

(Monroe County)

County Control reported a man, angered by the accident,
    Ok someone please tell me who wouldn't be angered by an accident? He obviously didn't threaten anyone with anything, he was mad that his fiance got hurt. MSM making a big deal out of nothing as usual.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

I wonder if the armed citizen was a member here.

(Jefferson County)

It wasn't me, I swear..

I think the "first responders" over-reacted a bit. I'm sure the fiance's distraught state could have influenced it some too.

Typically this area and our LEO's are very good about folks carrying and wouldn't have acted as such under normal circumstances.

On a side note, I think I'm going to break down and start a mass writing to all of our Reps and Senators about getting a bill passed to get rid of the database and/or the use to check a gun's "registered" status.