Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Review of Century Sterling 9mm

I have suddenly gotten into pistol carbines and when I saw the new Sterling on gunbroker I had to have one. The fit and finish is what you would expect from this type of weapon, I have read some reviews and it seems some people seem to think they are buying a collector grade weapon,it was meant to be mass produced cheaply but they are nicely put together by wise- lite.The magazines are surplus but in good shape. The internals (bolt,ect.)must be old surplus as they have the appearance of a patina ,but are unused as far as I can tell.The sights are not bad and it shoots with little recoil as it is somewhat heavy,the accuracy is pretty good too.The stock is kind of short, but again, this was not built for comfort.If you want something unusual for your collection this is a must have, I just love looking at the damn thing!I would give it 4 1/2 stars out of five.
    Last edited by rompus; July 1st, 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: changed wording

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Review of Century Sterling 9mm

I saw them in the Century mailer and they really caught my interest. Thanks for the review.

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, these - Sterling carbines that is - are worth going the SBR route!

Glad these came back, even still, dealers would sit on the Daganham guns forever in the mid-80's for just under $800.00.

Some Sterling boards ...

http://www.machinegunboards.com/foru...php?act=SF&f=6

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80
    Last edited by nfafan; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    IMHO, these - Sterling carbines that is - are worth going the SBR route!

Glad these came back, even still, dealers would sit on the Daganham guns forever in the mid-80's for just under $800.00.

Some Sterling boards ...

http://www.machinegunboards.com/foru...php?act=SF&f=6

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80
    I paid 624 with a buy it now price. They seem to range in the 610 to 675 range.

(Allegheny County)

You prob didn't do too bad on the price; these folks have had it listed for months - but as unavailable...

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/sterlingrifle.aspx

Let's face it, the free-market dictates what they can get away with for charging for these things.

(Centre County)

I bought one about a month and change ago locally. Aside form some crappy welding on the bottom side of the tube where they obviously used the old MK4 end caps and the arms for the collapsible butt stock being slightly bent off in order for it to close and open properly it a great gun. It's a smooth shooter with a good finish on it and has yet to cause any problems for me and has shot all the brass cased 9mm I've used in it. The barrels are made by Green Mtn if I recall correctly.
    I got 2 magazines when I bought it, one was recently re park'd, the other wasn't but they both function perfectly and are a snap to load.
    This gun has made it onto my list of guns to SBR this winter, that is for sure! I know some guys on UziTalk have been talking about doing it so I'm going to intrested to see what exactly they do and how it looks.
    I'll try and post up some pictures if i get a chance tonight or tomorrow, it definatly is a looker and adds alot diversity to ones gun collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    I bought one about a month and change ago locally.
    I'll try and post up some pictures if i get a chance tonight or tomorrow, it definatly is a looker and adds alot diversity to ones gun collection.
    I can't believe these would not sell like crazy. For the vintage guys it would seem a no brainer, I am getting tired of my AK and AR and just wanted something cool to look at and shoot. I have a sub2000 that is a lot of fun to shoot and I have a Lusa carbine coming. I was thinking of a Vector uzi and maybe a Masterpice arms carbine to fill out the collection.Low priced fun.

(Centre County)

Your correct thought because they are coming from century (even though WL is making them) there is the stigma that they are going to be a flaming pile of shit, which they are not. The other downside is that "sterling" magazines are expensive. wicked expensive. luckily sten mags work as well

As far as selling like hot cakes, they have been. There just arn't that many out there yet. century did the exact same thing with the HK clone they just put out... I believe it was the C93 or something like that built off of HK 53 parts kits. Just leak some out, build up the hype and then open the market months later.

I'm in the same boat as you and really enjoy the semi pistol cal carbines. 9mm AR SBR's, Vector Uzi, Cohaire Arms MP5 Clone... etc... lots of fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rompus View Post
    I can't believe these would not sell like crazy. For the vintage guys it would seem a no brainer, I am getting tired of my AK and AR and just wanted something cool to look at and shoot. I have a sub2000 that is a lot of fun to shoot and I have a Lusa carbine coming. I was thinking of a Vector uzi and maybe a Masterpice arms carbine to fill out the collection.Low priced fun.
    Well they kinda are; seems like no one has them in their stores and the ones on the auction sites sell FAST.

OTOH; those buying them up are us carbine/Sterling diehards that missed the boat in the mid-80's and wanted one even with the goofy long barrel and the lottery-winning-pricetag at the time of $700.00 - $800.00.

I snagged my original Dagenham 2-digit gun off the auction sites about 9 years ago and paid the premium. Had I waited; these Century guns would have been an immediate buy now that they have arrived and I would've saved some serious cash and been just as happy.

In any event, enjoy it and let's hope Century's next hand to play is a 922'd FAMAS clone. Another then-$800.00 gun that many of us thought was goofy looking.

[/QUOTE]
    In any event, enjoy it and let's hope Century's next hand to play is a 922'd FAMAS clone. Another then-$800.00 gun that many of us thought was goofy looking.[/QUOTE]

What the heck is a 922'd FAMAS. I looked up Famas and it is french but could not find a 922.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast