Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Angry Help! Need Advice Dealing with Pennsylvania Gunsmith!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have joined to hopefully get a little advice on a sticky situation I find myself in regarding a gunsmith in Pennsylvania who specializes in refurbishing firearms.

First off, in deference to this board I am not going to identify him by name or specific location, other than he is located in Pennsylvania, so here is my predicament.

Last March, 2008 after extensive communication with this gunsmith in Pennsylvania I mailed him a pistol for refurbishing / refinishing. Turn-around time was supposed to be 4-5 weeks but after a year he still hasn't finished the work and getting him to answer an e-mail is like pulling teeth. Needless to say, I've just about run out of patience and am now ready to light a fire under him.

Since I am in Texas and he's in Pennsylvania what legal action can I take? I understand that as soon as I do it will probably remove all possibility of me ever seeing my pistol in one piece again but I don't care anymore, at this point all I want is to make sure he doesn't get away with this.

What I'm looking for is an attorney in Pennsylvania that someone can recommend that might be able to work with me on this. I thought first a nice but direct Letter-of-Intent from a Pennsylvania based attorney would be good place to start. If that doesn't seem to get his attention I would like to report this gun as stolen to the local police and any other appropriate law enforcement agencies.

So as you can see I'm pretty torqued over this, I figured this forum would be the best place to field a question like this. Any suggestions are GREATLY appriaciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Pistol Whipped; May 22nd, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Help! Need Advice Dealing with Pennsylvania Gunsmith!

Better Bussiness bearue (its late my spelling sucks)

You should look for an attorney in the county where the gunsmith is located. If local police need to be alerted, or filings made on your behalf, having local counsel can make things go smoother for you.

I imagine a cheap plane ticket to Pa. would be cheaper than the lawyer though. Depending on the value of the gun, I might just show up on his doorstep and demand my property back.

I don't understand your comments about deference to the board in not naming him. You do no service to the people here keeping secret the identity of a gunsmith in Pennsylvania who steals from his customers.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    I don't understand your comments about deference to the board in not naming him. You do no service to the people here keeping secret the identity of a gunsmith in Pennsylvania who steals from his customers.
    Seconded. I'd like to avoid the slippery asshat if at all possible.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

(Westmoreland County)

Call the BATFE office in Philly and let the .gov work for you for a change. I once had a similar experience and they were more than happy to intervene on my behalf.

U.S. Department of Justice
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    Philadelphia Field Division
    The Curtis Center
    601 Walnut Street
    Suite 1000E
    Philadelphia, PA 19106
    (215) 446-7800
    Fax: (215) 446-7811

Division Counsel
    Phone: (215) 446-7830
    Fax: (215) 446-7831

(York County)

Unfortunately, since your both in two different states, it makes things alot more difficult. To be honest, besides the better business bureau, civil suits, and contacting the ATF, theres not much you can do. Calling the police in the gunsmith's juristiction wont do much, they'll just show up (sometimes they wont even do anything, there are more important and urgent matters to be handled), ask questions, do a report, then tell you that you need to take him to court and civilly sue him.

And since its been over a year, i'd just say fuck it and report it stolen. He's had ample time to refurbish the gun and you've tried to communicate enough times.

I'd also suggest divulging the grimy bastard's name. Would you want one of us in PA to get ripped off too by him?
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; May 23rd, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

Angry Re: Help! Need Advice Dealing with Pennsylvania Gunsmith!

After consideration upon identifying him I think you have a point. Nothing I've said can be construed as libelous or slanderous, I've stated nothing but the facts so here he is; his name is Eugene Galubstov, aka: Luger Man. He's located in Fairless Hills, PA, you can see his website at lugerman.com. He specializes in Lugers and Mauser Broomhandles. What he has of mine is a Broomhandle Mauser, not a collectable piece, but one that I wanted refinished. I didn't spend a whole lot of money for the gun and after a year now have just about accepted the fact that I won't be seeing it again. All I want now is my pound of flesh and to put him on the radar screen of every law enforcement agency I possibly can. If I can do that I'll be a happy man...or a content one at least.

(Venango County)

IIRC and IANAL...

Each state has monetary limits for small claims courts. You file in your home county naming him as plaintiff. There is a fee for filing, but a lawyer is not necessary. You will have to pay for processor to serve papers to the defendant which you should file as part of your damages.

The nice thing here is that he has to come to you or forfeit. So it is expensive for him, especially if he is going to lose anyway.

I would also let him know that you have no choice but to report the gun stolen to see if this gets him going or not.

The court should rule in your favor IMHO, given the facts you have stated. You may, however, wish to run it by a lawyer anyway or a lawyer friend. If you have a friend who is a lawyer, a letter on letterhead may be appropriate and enough to get the smithy's attention.

(So if the value or damages are less than the small claims maximum, that is an easy route to go. Otherwise, you would have to sue civilly.)
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch