Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Why doesn't Ohio and PA have reciprocity?

Just as implied ............ Why doesn't Ohio and PA have reciprocation? or New York for that matter? I don't wanna go to NJ .......

What's the issue? My only thought could be training ......... ?
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

Default Re: Why doesn't Ohio and PA have reciprocation?

Rumor has it Ohio & PA are working on it.
    Ny would be nice but I don't see it ever happening.

NY is a strange place, even NY residents have hard times getting permits for self defense, they have them split into different categories, sporting, etc.

Lots of people end up getting the "Sporting" permit and then after a couple of YEARS try to have it upgraded for SD.

Regarding Ohio, they do have a training requirement:

http://www.ohioccw.org/component/opt.../articleid,63/

What are the training requirements? PDF Print
    updated: Each course, class, or program must provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program a copy of the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters. Each class must include at least 12 hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include all of the following:

At least 10 hours of training in the following matters: Safe handling and proper storage, the ability to demonstrate and handle ammunition safely, the ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner, gun handling training, and:

At least two hours of training that consists of range time and live-fire training. To complete the course the applicant shall pass a competency examination given by the instructor of the class.
    As PA does not have a similar requirment

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...eciprocity.asp

§ 109.69. Reciprocity agreements with states issuing licenses to carry concealed handguns.

(A) (1) The Attorney General shall negotiate and enter into a reciprocity agreement with any other license-issuing state under which a license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued by the other state is recognized in this state if the Attorney General determines that both of the following apply:

(a) The eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(b) That license-issuing state recognizes a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(2) A reciprocity agreement entered into under division (A)(1) of this section also may provide for the recognition in this state of a license to carry a concealed handgun issued on a temporary or emergency basis by the other license-issuing state, if the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for the temporary or emergency license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code and if that license-issuing state recognizes a temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code.

(3) The Attorney General shall not negotiate any agreement with any other license-issuing state under which a license to carry a concealed handgun that is issued by the other state is recognized in this state other than as provided in divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section.

(B) As used in this section:

(1) "Handgun" has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(2) "License-issuing state" means a state other than this state that, pursuant to law, provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Armstrong County)

I was aware of the OH training requirement, my son lives there. I just wanna be able to carry while I visit. Neighboring states that have almost identical reciprocals ............. just seems like a no brainer.

States that Honor Ohio's CCW Permit:
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

States that Honor Pennsylvania's LTCF Permit:
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado*, Florida*, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan*, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

* Honors RESIDENTIAL Pennsylvania permits only
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I was aware of the OH training requirement, my son lives there. I just wanna be able to carry while I visit. Neighboring states that have almost identical reciprocals ............. just seems like a no brainer.

States that Honor Ohio's CCW Permit:
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming

States that Honor Pennsylvania's LTCF Permit:
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado*, Florida*, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan*, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

* Honors RESIDENTIAL Pennsylvania permits only
    Get yourself a Utah CCW permit. They issue them to any non-resident who completes the training course, and I know that the FIRE Institute down here near Pittsburgh regularly offers that course. You will be able to legally carry in Ohio (and a variety of other states that don't honor Pa. permits, but will honor Utah.)

As jdlv4_0 said, it's pretty much a training issue, possibly with a bit of issue requirements difference mixed in.

Ohio's law is prehistoric in many ways, this being one of them.

I am an instructor and an activist, so please feel free to ask me any Ohio law specific questions you want.

(Mercer County)

If I was worried about a permit to carry in Ohio, I would just get a Florida non-resident carry permit...

If you want to pay $50.00 or more for a Utah Class that has no firing range time and is a waste of money go for it!!!

A veteran with a valid DD-214 meets Florida's training requirements and the turn around time for a non-resident Florida permit is quicker.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    If you want to pay $50.00 or more for a Utah Class that has no firing range time and is a waste of money go for it!!!
    utah gets you more states and is cheaper than florida even with the $50 class you have to take for utah. so, you aren't really wasting the $50 on the class, you are actually saving a few bucks on the permit (even if you add the $50 for the class to the cost of the permit). also renewals are cheaper for utah.

also, florida is quite hypocritical in that they have made an industry of issuing non-resident permits, but do not themselves recognize non-resident permits from any other states. (you have to be a resident of the state that issued the permit for florida to recognize it...even if florida has reciprocity with that state.)

imho, these are all reasons to go with UT instead of FL, but to each his own.

Default Re: Why doesn't Ohio and PA have reciprocity?

WV has a training requirement for their resident carry permits and we got reciprocity with them last year. So apparently that wasn't a big issue with them. I think the main thing there was getting PA LTCF records online so that WV LEOs could access them to verify a holder's license.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    None of the state's with training mandates include any worthwhile range time except for possibly Texas IIRC.

I attended the Arizona CFP class while at Gunsite several years ago. It was a two day class but Gunsite's syllabus far exceeded the AZ minimum requirements. IOW Gunsite "added" quite a bit of practical skills and techniques because they found the AZ standards so lacking (which BTW is typical of most training standards in states that require them).

Big Dog, the one day handgun class we offer which you recently attended doesn't adequately prepare someone to carry a firearm in public and use it proficiently but that is simply an issue of inadequate time to hone the skills taught. Contrast what we teach in that class vs. the PA hunter safety course which FL accepts as "training".

The bottom line is none of the states except Texas have adequate training standards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast