Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default holster preferance?

i have a cross side draw conceled holster. not the most comfortable in my opinion and i have to wear a 2x sweatshirt to conceal it completely. im just looking for everyones opinion on holster preferance. based on comfort, concealability, and function.

Default Re: holster preferance?

I would think that strong side owb is probably the most popular. I have a few, one UBG holster owb and a couple Blackhawk serpa holsters. I also have UBG holster iwb and a Galco shoulder holster. The latter is only good for winter carry unless you're part of Miami Vice. I also have a sob from Mernickle Holsters for my PPKS.
    Check out UBGHOLSTERS.COM his turn around time is pretty good, decently priced, and very good quality. I hope this helps.

I've heard it said here that you'll probably end up with a drawer full of holsters until you find one for every gun & purpose. That seems to be the case with me.

I have a Blackhawk SERPA for each of my Glocks & like them for when I'm wearing a jacket or a shirt with the shirt tail out. For more concealment I ordered a UBG IWB holster. That should be here this week or next.

Then last week I ran across a reference to kholsters on this forum. The price is right & his no bs satisfaction guarantee sounded good, so I ordered one for both of my Glocks.

(Venango County)

yeah, that seems to be the case with holsters, you try a few ad see what you like, for Concealment I really like my Crossbreed Supertuck, comfortable, conceals well, and it's tuckable, and he has a satisfaction guarantee, and BTW the pistol I conceal is a Full Size Glock

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Strong side IWB - about 3:30 for a right handed person. Recommendation: Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Buy quality and only cry once. This kinda short-circuits the drawerful of holster syndrome too.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Lebanon County)

Even though I have a cheap holster, I love it. Uncle Mike's IWB. I'm pretty large, so I have no problem concealing my G17.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Lancaster County)

me milt sparks IWB versa max 2 for my kimber tactical pro.wife IWB super tuck XD sub compact 9mm.both strong side and both of us very happy with them.crazywolf

(Allegheny County)

all aspects of carrying require some tradeoffs which make the decision quite personal.

personally, i like 3:00 (strong side hip) carry. it provides a solid and quick draw (that, unlike cross draw, does not require sweeping a wide area with your muzzle as you draw), allows good retention, and is, for me at least, quite comfortable and concealable. it is much easier to draw from 3:00 into retention than from cross draw. if you are already in a hands-on fight, the gun is much more accessible to you while you naturally blade your body (left side assuming you are right handed) a bit into the attacker...and you can reach the gun without having to reach across through your attacker to get to it. likewise, retaining it does not require reaching across your body and unbalancing yourself and exposing yourself to attack.

i like IWB. it is more concealable. IWB holsters hold the gun closer to your body. there is also no worrying about you cover garment riding up and exposing the bottom of the holster, etc. however, the tradeoff is that, because the gun is held tighter to your body, it can be harder to quickly acquire a good grip on the gun while it is still in the holster (which is the foundation of a good draw stroke). however, in my experience, with enough practice this becomes a non-issue. some people also find IWB to be less comfortable, but i have no comfort issues at all using my C-TAC.

i use a decent amount of forward cant. tactically, imho, this is actually inferior to carrying the gun straight up and down. the draw is a bit harder and you have to lean forward and drop your head more when drawing. this can put you in a more compromised position in a bad breath distance fight. the advantage, however, is that the forward cant helps tremendously with concealment. the single biggest issue in concealability, imho, is the length of the backstrap. does the grip of the gun stick out behind you? forward cant moves the bottom of the grip forward and offsets the length of the backstrap.

i carry a glock 17 (full sized glock) under just a t-shirt at 3:00 in a comptac C-TAC with maximum forward cant and nobody ever knows i have it. i have practiced drawing enough to overcome to a large extent the downsides of the forward cant and IWB regarding drawing and have not had trouble drawing the gun during force on force training.

appendix carry is also becoming popular and offers many advantages. however, i like carrying full sized guns and personally cannot get appendix carry to work with a full size gun. for me, if i carry it high enough to not dig into my leg when i sit down, it is too high to have any kind of decent draw. if it is low enough to have a decent draw, i can't sit down without the muzzle poking into my leg.

at any rate, the best answer is really to take some training courses...specifically some force on force courses after getting a basic course or two under your belt...and discover for yourself what works best for you in realistic scenarios.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; September 14th, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

yea my carry is a firestar plus 9mm a medium frame. i have an IWB holster but whenever i sit down it is uncomfortable. ill just have to carry more and find what works. i am also looking into some coarses. thanks for the info guys. i am more of a rifle person but i want to get more into hand guns.

(York County)

My favorite is strong side OWB (as another poster had written). However, I have to dress around it when I carry that way.
    My most frequent mode of carry...and the easiest way to carry, is a pocket gun. Just toss it (and holster) in your pocket and you're ready to go.
    This does limit one to a smaller light handgun, however.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast