Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default U Penn Study Says Gun Carriers 4x More Likely To Be Assaulted...

Well, I heard some DJ bashing carriers ont he radio today so I went home and fired off some e-mails, I'll quote myself for time, but this study is crap for several reasons....this is a NY- Long Island local station, but the study is relevant here:

I was listening to the radio tonight and heard the tail end of a gun bashing session around 10PM. I, being a scientist, looked into the study mentioned by the host who exuberantly bashed gun owners and carriers, expecting to find some way to contest the simplified tag line “Gun carriers 4 times more likely to be shot”. I purchased the article and read my way through it and it turns out to have some major flaws. Among other issues it seems that there is no distinction between criminals and civilian victims. Time and again the authors mention drugs, alcohol and criminal records in relation to the enrolled shooting case victims and even note: “However, compared with control participants, shooting case participants were significantly more often Hispanic, more frequently working in high-risk occupation, less educated, and had a greater frequency of prior arrest. At the time of the shooting case participants were also significantly more often involved with alcohol and drugs, outdoors, and closer to areas where more Blacks, Hispanics, and unemployed individuals resided. Case participants were also more likely to be located in areas with less income and more illicit drug trafficking.”

The authors simply failed to study an accurate control population, or rather, assumed incorrectly that the vast majority of those involved in gun assaults were comparable to the general population of the city. The final message of this article is that crime is rampant in low income areas known for drug trafficking, and that criminals carry guns illegally and shoot one another. The study has nothing to do with good, honest citizens with no criminal records who fail to frequent areas of drug trafficking and violence. I tune in to your station for music, not political ranting. The gun community, and even more the scientific community, deserves your stations public apology and clarification for pushing an agenda and inspiring fear and panic for those who take on the responsibility of protecting themselves and their families in these uncertain times.
    Respectfully,
    Alex
    There were some other problems with the study and the authors talk about and admit it, such as, the fact that it only applies to urban adults etc. I don't have time to reproduce the whole thing now, but maybe in the future. Its a protected PDF so I have to retype it into notpad to quote it.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Mercer County)

Default Re: U Penn Study Says Gun Carriers 4x More Likely To Be Assaulted...

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Its a protected PDF so I have to retype it into notpad to quote it.
    Open the PDF and press ALT+Print Screen...then paste it into a Word doc or into an MS Paint file.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lancaster County)

It hurts my brain ....

God bless the poor wretch, crazy or high enough, to try and assault an OC'er.

"Sure, your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I turn your head into a canoe."

(Bucks County)

This is what happens when you start a "study" with a conclusion and then make the "study" fit the agenda.

(Jefferson County)

They also failed to note that the person doing the assaulting is 4X more likely to get a cap busted in their ass too..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

OK, well to be sure we are not assaulted, let's all turn in our handguns to the police right now...then we'll be safe.

(Northampton County)

OMGZ!!11!! Disarm the police immediately! It's for their own safety!! If they didn't carry guns they wouldn't be assaulted so often!! It's common sense!!

There's not enough room on the page for the amount of rolleyes this article deserves.
    Let them take arms

(Montgomery County)

We just found a way to end death by enemy action in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Simpletons want to make the world simple, so that they "feel" safe. Feel whatever you want simpletons, the world will never be safe.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

How about a link to the article and the study? An excerpt of a response to a radio show is pretty tenuous...

(Berks County)

Interesting this is being talked about now, when we're less than a week away from a Judiciary Committee hearing to discuss and call a vote on HB40.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...tml#post971860

Call/email the members of the Judiciary Committee and tell them to vote "YES" on HB40!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast