Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 9mm Suggestion for Range and IPSC use

Hello,

As I posted a little while back, I am very new to shooting. I've just recently purchased my first pistol (Beretta .380) and took a FIRST Steps pistol class.

Just as many of you have mentioned in other threads, this has lead to the gun bug. I find myself spending lots of time looking at different pistols and can't wait to get my club membership card so I can get out and do more shooting.

I'm looking a little further down the line and want to get into some IDPA and IPSC shooting. Both organizations require 9mm caliber or larger so I'm going to need to get myself something that will allow me to compete.

I want to spend a couple months getting comfortable with shooting before giving competative shooting a try. So with that in mind i want to start getting an idea as to what I should look for in a 9mm. The reason for the 9mm is it will allow me to shoot more for less money when it comes to ammo.

I've read serious competitors load their own rounds, but it isn't something I am looking into at the moment and want to stick with factory rounds.

Because I want to wait a couple months before getting involved (maybe around the spring), I want to get an idea what to look at and possibly rent in the meantime.

I own a Beretta and have shot 2 others (Neos and a duty weapon that I'm not sure of) so I am comfortable and happy with what the company has to offer. Would a 9mm Beretta be something I should look into or are there better options?

I'm not concerned with Concealing it so a full sized pistol would be more along the lines of what I am looking for. The only downside to the Beretta is the price. hey appear to normally be over $500, which is where I would like to set the cap in terms of pistol cost (taxes, insta check, etc.. would be separate).

The less the pistol costs, the sooner I can save up cash to purchase (but I don't mind waiting for a more expensive pistol if it means better overall quality/performance)

So with this in mind, could you recommend 3 possible pistols to look into. Maybe a $300-$350 Model, $350-$450 and up to $500?

I'm not looking to add a scope or additional parts at this point, just a good out of the box pistol to serve as a range gun.

Also, any advice or recommendations for things I may be overlooking would be appreciated as well.

Thanks alot
    -Walt

(Berks County)

Default Re: 9mm Suggestion for Range and IPSC use

When I get the chance to shoot IDPA, I see most shooters choose the Glock model. You could also look in to a SIG or a Ruger. I personally don't care for the 9mm. Sorry I like the 45acp. I hate to give you bad news but the cost of ammo will be very expensive for practice. Save your 9mm empties for the day you start reloading. Go to your local firearm dealer and see how they feel in your hand. That is the best way to choose. Do you know someone that would let you try their guns?
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Berks County)

I have a couple friends that have a few pistols, but they rage in caliber. I think I might know 2 people that own a 9mm (mostly .40 and .45).

trying friends guns isn't a problem, its tracking down a couple 9mm to try that might be an issue. There is a shop not too far from me (French Creek Outfitters) that rents guns, which is where I was planning on trying a few models.

(Lawrence County)

In IDPA and USPSA 9mm will rule in either a 1911 platform or the Glock.

In IDPA read the SSP guidelines for the Glock or double action guns......or ESP for a 1911/single action......9mm/.38 Super 1911's own ESP class.

For USPSA.....9mm is great for Production class......in double action or safe action....... In USPSA Single Stack class you can shoot a single action 1911 as "minor".

Best gun for both games in 9mm? Glock 34.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

You don't have to have a gun in 9mm to get a good idea how it feels. A glock will generally feel like a glock a xd in .40 will feel like a xd in 9mm. Exactly the same no, grips will be thicker or thinner, but if your friends have guns like the M&P, XD, GLOCK in other calibers than 9mm, still handle and shoot them, its better than not and you still get a pretty good idea what it will feel like in your hand.

I like the Beretta 92FS. Paid $550.00 OTD for mine.
    Because of the wide range of agencies and military branches that use/have used this pistol, there are always plenty of used examples for sale. Saw one recently for around $350.00 in VG shape.
    Wally'world has WWB ammo cheap, but I watch Dicks' Sporting goods for sales...Remington (UMC) green box for under $8.00 per 50rds.
    Good luck!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd highly recommend Springfield Armory XD. My "match" gun is an XD9 tactical. Fun shooter.

Try all the guns in terms of how they fit in your hand and when presenting the gun if they feel right in terms of your natural point of aim.

For me, I don't like the Glock grip angle (just personal preference) and I do like the XD grip safety.

(Perry County)

i don't know the rules for either, but you could check out a CZ also. good guns for usually nice prices.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    i don't know the rules for either, but you could check out a CZ also. good guns for usually nice prices.
    +1 on the CZs.
    They are on my "wannashoot" list, and in your price range.
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    I'd highly recommend Springfield Armory XD. My "match" gun is an XD9 tactical. Fun shooter.

Try all the guns in terms of how they fit in your hand and when presenting the gun if they feel right in terms of your natural point of aim.

For me, I don't like the Glock grip angle (just personal preference) and I do like the XD grip safety.
    The problem with IDPA and the XD is that it puts you in the ESP division.....against 9mm 1911's. In USPSA it's a great Production gun.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast