Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default OK to pull guns?

Hello folks,

Please see here:

http://www.whptv.com/news/state/stor...3024eaf&rss=51

I was taught that not to pull gun unless one is ready to shoot in defense of one's life. Many states, like Connecticut, for example would penalize this man (who pulled the gun severely). He might lost his license and get jail time for brandishing or threatening. In this case, the coach was beating the man down, and I am fully supportive of the man decision to pull the gun to ward off the attack. I just wondering how frequent this sort of incident take place and has anyone here pull guns out to ward off attackers?

1FingrCHan

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: OK to pull guns?

i wouldn't draw unless i was intending to shoot if the threat did not stop as a result of the weapon being displayed. however, if the threat stops at the sight of the gun, then there is no reason to actually shoot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i wouldn't draw unless i was intending to shoot if the threat did not stop as a result of the weapon being displayed. however, if the threat stops at the sight of the gun, then there is no reason to actually shoot.
    Same here, and as I understand, that was what happened the man pulled his gun, and the other guy just backed way off, no reason to shoot at that point as the attacker retreated, the man was in full right no matter what the state.

What those provisions as I understand are meant to stop anyone from actively threatening I.E. waving his gun around to get someone to agree to what he's saying.

(Allegheny County)

He did the right thing, but if he had had pepper spray with him it wouldn't of escalated to this.

(Cambria County)

I pulled an HK USP 40 on a charging pitbull once in a WalMart parking lot, does that count?

I think the guy did the right thingm the law agreed.

(Lancaster County)

Just my 2¢, but I wouldn't rely on pepper spray. Back in my 20's I was at a party one night and saw a little guy blast this big dude right in the face. I mean square on in the nose and eyes, the guy was affected for a second but kinda wiped his head and started chasing the kid. It didn't seem to have much effect on him.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything. -Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

“One man with a gun can control 100 without one. ” -Vladamir Lenin, Founder Communist Party USSR ... I hate to quote a commie, but when they ban your gun, you'll know who gave them the idea.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by T Durdin View Post
    Just my 2¢, but I wouldn't rely on pepper spray. Back in my 20's I was at a party one night and saw a little guy blast this big dude right in the face. I mean square on in the nose and eyes, the guy was affected for a second but kinda wiped his head and started chasing the kid. It didn't seem to have much effect on him.
    That was also 5-15 years ago. Things have become more advanced in that time. I personally don't know of anyone that fights better after a blast of OC to the face.
    Last edited by JustinM; April 19th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Now, what if one has pulled the gun and the attacker or attackers ran away. Whether there are witnesses or not. Should one call the cops to report the incident? the reason is I heard that the attackers can call the cops and say that you pulled the gun and threatened them.

Or one should treat every circumstance differently.

1FingrCHan

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    Now, what if one has pulled the gun and the attacker or attackers ran away. Whether there are witnesses or not. Should one call the cops to report the incident? the reason is I heard that the attackers can call the cops and say that you pulled the gun and threatened them.

Or one should treat every circumstance differently.

1FingrCHan

Do yourself a favor, err on the side of caution and CALL THE POLICE after any altercation like that. For me, even if I don't pull my gun, I'll call the police after some sort of potentially violent altercation in case the other guy saw my gun printing or my shirt revealed the gun on accident (or whatever), just in case. I'm not paranoid really, but if anyone is going to tell the cops that I have a gun, it's going to be me.

(Erie County)

Had this happen to a coworker. Outside a 7-11, two men approached and began hassling / threatening (to rob) him. He pulled and they ran.
    When the government has a knife at your throat and a hand on your wallet, it matters not whether it is the left or the right hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast