Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Brinks Home (False Sense of) Security

Watch the you tube video link
    http://www.crimefilenews.com/2008/06...-security.html

Brinks Home (False Sense of) Security

The commercials are little more than a joke. A couple is at home and in the bedroom when they hear an intruder. Instead of the able-bodied male figure grabbing a gun he slams the flimsy bedroom door cowering behind it.

An alert looking call center employee calls and asks if everything is alright. When the male homeowner informs the call center of the intruder the call center fellow says, “Help is on the way!” Everyone is seen smiling. The story ends and everyone lives happily ever after.

The reality is the call center has to actually get through to the police and then the police must dispatch officers to the scene. The whole process could take somewhere between ten minutes and an hour. We can only hope the cops will arrive while the bodies of the homeowners are still warm.

I’m sorry to burst anyone’s bubble, but other than providing an audible alarm the service is worthless.

This video is humorous but will show you how to improve your odds of survival. This lady has an audible alarm of her own. When the cops come she will be alive and well as long as the government does not violate her civil rights claiming she violated some unconstitutional gun law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWUMETn3Z3M

(Chester County)

Default Re: Brinks Home (False Sense of) Security

Now that is how you do it, except make sure the scumbag is actually inside the house!!!

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(York County)

Lightbulb Re: Brinks Home (False Sense of) Security

Uh huh, okay. You realize that your basically slamming the alram company for employing the same sales strategy that the gun shop is right, just from different angles.

Dave
    3%

(Montgomery County)

I'll disagree with the OP on this one. While I agree that any alarm system in and of itself isn't the end-all-be-all in personal protection, having Brinks in my house gives me plenty of levels of security I wouldn't have without it:

Signs at my entrances/stickers on my windows - Provides a first-level deterrent to would-be bad guys. If they never even try to get in, the system has paid for itself already.

Ear-splitting audible alarms on all levels of my house - The moment a door or window is breached, I'll know it and will have time to enact my family's emergency plan. My wife and I sleep with a fan running for white noise, so having an alarm sound is critical for us.

Automatic calls to police or fire - Sure, the police may take some time getting to my place. But as part of our plan my wife will already be on the phone with 9-1-1. The central monitoring station is good backup, especially if our phone lines are out or if we accidentally forget to charge our cell phones. And, unlike the commercial, we won't be cowering behind a flimsy hollow-core door like some feeble sheep awaiting the hungry wolf.

Protection when we're away on vacation - If we're away and a fire starts, or if some scumbag ignores the signs and shrieking alarm, the monitoring station will get the job done.

I know there are limitations, but I believe having a system in place is much better than being completely vulnerable.
    I carry a gun not to take lives, but to keep mine from being taken.

(Delaware County)

I have to disagree with the op, i have brinks, and we have had kitchen fires(yes plural), all of which were contained to the stove, and put out fast, but the fire department got there before we had the smoke cleared. And when the dog got loose in the house and set off the motion detectors the police were there before we caught the damn thing.

But i will say that the brinks comercials dont show everything, they show the dude cowering behind the door, they dont show grandpa walking down the steps with the 10ga O/U.

On my house the brinks sign means nothing, i know the FD responds, the police respond, and i know that if a criminal comes into my house, they are likely to be caught by police if they stay for more than 3-4 minutes, but if they start towards my children they are sure to be caught by police 3-4 minutes later, if they stop when i tell them. they will be arrested, if they attempt to harm my kids ill stop them and then hit the + symbol on the alarm, the ambulance will be there in 3-4 minutes. Brinks does help. its not the end all of security, but it is a necessary part.

(Dauphin County)

im going to that gun store for the FREE ROCK !!!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Philadelphia County)

I'll bet lighting up a burglar like that will get the cops there faster than brinks could. You don't even have to call -- the neighbors will.

(Northampton County)

Ditto on the rock!
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Susquehanna County)

The only time I see a Security Alarm being useful is when your away. And still the BG may get away. With a loud alarm maybe they'll take off. Maybe they won't. Just answer the door and tell the LEOs everything is OK

(Northampton County)

I'm with Whitefeather on this. I watched the commercials and thought the same thing.

And I also agree there is utility to an alarm system.

Now, that you tub video was the best! The only way to make it better would have been less clothes, more girls, and increase duration!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast