Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pocket Gun with laser?

Hi, I have a P3AT and read an on-line article about the Crimson Trace laser. Anyone actually have one, and use it? Comments please.

tom

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pocket Gun with laser?

I put a set on my wifes taurus 85. She likes them. I have not tried them on a auto loader yet..
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Cambria County)

I actually went to buy a set yesterday for my XD Subcompact that I carry every day. I have heard nothing but good stuff about them. They had sold out of them. Got one coming in next week.

Many people are concerned that you will quit using your sights. The batteries will die. Etc. Etc.... I really can't see why more people don't use them. They will put night sights on, but not a laser. You can shoot from the hip or aim while fighting with someone if need be. They aren't a do all. They are just another tool.

Their newest add says it pretty well.

Don't let your ego obscure your target. As good as you are with a gun. A laser sight makes you better. Nothing against iron sights, but times have changed and so have your eyes. Forturnately, lasers take nothing away from your skill. They give you a decisive advantage that can prove pivotal.

And I loved this ad. This would be the perfect location for a laser to be used. And if you think about it. The most likely place that your going to run into trouble. Someplace, dark and lonely.

I will give you my report when I pick mine up Monday or Tuesday if you want it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

We have a set on a 92FS. They seem to be faster on target but lose a little in the fine shooting. We have not tried them at night shooting but the cheap laser on my 10/22 has worked very good on pests. The CT should shine (pun intended) in low light.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Cambria County)

Got my Crimson Trace for my XD9 Subcompact. Fits very well. Very easy to install. Just remember to get the serial number off the inside of the laser grip before installing or you have to take it back off to register it.

Took a couple turns of windage to get the dot sitting on top of my sight post as recommended. Now, when I pull up and get on my sights. The dot is sitting right on top of the post too. Very nice.

Very easy to activate. Don't even have to think about it. Just gripping the pistol turns on the laser without even trying. It does have an on and off switch which is nice, if you want to use it at IDPA and need to turn off the laser and don't want to remove it.

During the day, I could see the dot outside on a tree easily from 30 yards out. I know in bright direct sunlight it doesn't work that well. It was just a bit overcast, but still sunny when I was outside playing. I was impressed.

At night, WOW, it goes way down there. Could snap up and put it on a tree about 50 yards away without even trying. Even the betterhalf was amazed how it worked at night.

The laser is just another tool. It shouldn't replace using your sight. But it sure is nice to have. Makes shooting from the hip accurate and easy if you needed to do this. (Bad guy is really close and things are getting ugly really fast.) If you ever got in a situation where you were wrestlling with the firearm in your hand, you could see where it was aimed by the laser. Don't have to poke your head out to aim if things are ugly. Just stick the gun out and watch the dot. Some of the nice points of a laser.

So far, I am impressed and glad I got one.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

My father-in-law has a green one on his P22 and comparing it to the red one on his S&W the difference is startling. The laser on the P22 came from Walther and the one on the S&W came from Crimson Trace.

The green is brighter, more vibrant, more visible, all this sitting in his kitchen in the afternoon with all the lights on. Even in bright daylight the green dot was clearly visible.

When I get one for my Sig, its going to be green, if I can find one.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have a P32 w/ an armalaser tactical laser installed. I got it mostly so the wife could learn proper sight alignment. It's nice in that it auto-activates as your trigger finger enters the trigger guard, turns off after 20 seconds. The down side is it's windage-only adjustable, but hey, on a .32 who really needs super-precision? It does a great job of breaking up the profile of the weapon in your pocket 'sans' holster.

i almost got some for my tomcat, BUT i didn tlike the way they felt... on the tomcat they put both batteries on the right side, so it felt odd in my hand.

they are GREAT, but i dont like them... lol just not my style. i like my 3 dot and post sights...
    This Space For Rent

(Lackawanna County)

I have one on my 649-3 I like it. The grip is expensive though.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson

Just a follow-up. I was fence sitting since to be a pocket-gun it has to be small. Adding a laser seemed counterproductive. I looked around, and saw how small some lasers are now. I now have a crimson on my p3at.

I am very happy(although have not hit the range yet). Now I can scoop up my family with one hand/arm, and shot one handed safer. At SD distances I have no problem, but I want that extra confidence of not missing my target.

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast