Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bud's Gun Shop?

(Northampton County)

Default Bud's Gun Shop?

Anybody here deal with Bud's Gun Shop? They have become my top out of state option in case I cannot find a 9mm XDM locally. They have Boyer's Hardware, Seneca Arms and Sniper Country PX on file for FFL transfer which is a good thing as I would like to stop by all 3 of these shops at some point. Plus they have XDM magazines for about $12 cheaper than any other place I have seen.

So what's the verdict on these guys? Are they good to deal with or should I remove them from my options list?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bud's Gun Shop?

It's not first-hand experience, but a friend of mine ordered an XD from them before. He said everything went smoothly, and at the time, it was the best price he could find.

I've kept them in mind everytime I've been looking for a gun. I usually end up finding a slightly better price somewhere else. However, if they do have the best price on something I want, I would probably order from them. I will be checking this thread though to see what others have to say.

If it's the online ordering you're worried about though, you shouldn't be. I've ordered 3 guns online and never had a single problem (except that you have to wait for shipping, which can be a real bummer).

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    Anybody here deal with Bud's Gun Shop? They have become my top out of state option in case I cannot find a 9mm XDM locally. They have Boyer's Hardware, Seneca Arms and Sniper Country PX on file for FFL transfer which is a good thing as I would like to stop by all 3 of these shops at some point. Plus they have XDM magazines for about $12 cheaper than any other place I have seen.

So what's the verdict on these guys? Are they good to deal with or should I remove them from my options list?
    I don't have any first hand experiance with them but the buz on the net is they are good people.

If you are looking for an xdm, i'd say get it. I was just in a shop today and they said they can not get the xdm's---as in their supplier didn't have any.

So, unless you can find a local shop with one in stock, you might be forced to use buds.

(Pike County)

I just bought a Ruger 10/22 from them on Friday evening and it's scheduled to arrive at my FFL on Wed. Easiest online purchase I ever made. What makes it easy is that they have a list, by state, of FFL's you can choose from, or you can use one that's not on the list if you like. I chose one from the list when I paid for the rifle. It went out UPS this morning.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mancolt View Post
    If it's the online ordering you're worried about though, you shouldn't be. I've ordered 3 guns online and never had a single problem (except that you have to wait for shipping, which can be a real bummer).
    I've never ordered anything more than a cheap scope for my SKS (which broke within the first 10 rounds of using it) online. Well gun related anyway. And I have never bought any of my guns. Each one was a gift for either Christmas, birthdays or graduation.

The whole buying a gun thing is fine with me though I have yet to do that myself. The whole buying online isn't a problem either. I do have 2 questions though.

If I buy online from another state, will I have to pay taxes on it?

Second question is, do I call the FFL I choose and let them know to expect a firearm being shipped there for me or do I have to get them to inform whoever I'm ordering from that it's good to go with them?

I've been shooting my whole life. I've owned my own guns since the age of 6 and I feel like a newbie. Lol.

(Montgomery County)

I do have 2 questions though.

If I buy online from another state, will I have to pay taxes on it?
    No, Bud's does not collect PA sales tax. Technically you're still on the hook for it, if you can figure out how to notify PA that you bought something out of state.

Keep in mind that Bud's web prices are quoted as cash. Add 3% (I think) if you decide to pay by credit card. Otherwise, send a check or money order if you want the cash price.

Second question is, do I call the FFL I choose and let them know to expect a firearm being shipped there for me or do I have to get them to inform whoever I'm ordering from that it's good to go with them?
    In my case, I asked Cabelas (in Hamburg) if they would accept an inbound FFL transfer and they said it would cost $25. I then told Bud's to ship it to Cabelas. That's about as complicated as it got.

The risk is completely on you if you give Bud's bad FFL shipping info. Remember, you've already paid for the gun before it leaves their warehouse.

My experience with Bud's was that they were knowledgeable and easy to deal with. The only slight negative (very minor, almost not worth mentioning) was that I sometimes had to wait for a call back when they didn't answer the phone.

I did the entire transaction verbally (on the phone), but I would assume that a purely web based transaction would work the same way. I used the phone because I wanted to be very clear about the exact model, price, CC surcharge and shipping costs.

Overall I would recommend them highly for hard to get models and I would definitely do business with them again.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

I just bought a pistol from them about a month or so ago. Everything went smoothly, shipping was quick, gun was great, and since they show you if things are in stock or not, there's no problems with backorders I would guess. They even have a list of FFLs that had my FFL on file so I didn't have to do anything more than click his shop as the place I wanted it sent to.

I would definitely buy another gun from them if I was under the same circumstances that led me to go there the first time. I couldn't find the gun I wanted with the finish I wanted anywhere locally, so just to compare prices I checked there and ended up buying from them.

(Allegheny County)

I think Vortex covered everything. The only thing I'd recommend is checking with the FFL that you want to have it sent to. Just notify them that you plan on ordering from an online store and having it sent to them. Find out how much they charge. If Bud's already has your local FFL in their database, then you should be good to go. Just let Bud's know which FFL to ship to when you place your order.

If it is an FFL that Bud's doesn't have in their database, you'll need to contact the local FFL and have them send their information to Bud's.

(Westmoreland County)

I've ordered a lot through Buds and used to check their site daily but haven't since last year when they started price gouging.

Shipping is super slow. Don't expect them to ship the item for a week and then normal shipping times from there.

I haven't had any bad experiences with Buds but don't expect anything fast. I've wished I coughed up the extra dough and tax for immediate gratification after waiting a week for something to ship.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I've ordered a lot through Buds and used to check their site daily but haven't since last year when they started price gouging.

Shipping is super slow. Don't expect them to ship the item for a week and then normal shipping times from there.

I haven't had any bad experiences with Buds but don't expect anything fast. I've wished I coughed up the extra dough and tax for immediate gratification after waiting a week for something to ship.
    In this case, it won't be to save a few bucks. It will end up being an option if I cannot find the pistol I want locally. I've checked the site a few times over the last month or so and while some models have come up as not in stock, the one I want has been consistantly in stock.

As for the FFL I'd have it shipped to, there are a couple of shops around the area I want to check out anyway and a few of them are on the list of dealers on the site. So getting FFL info from a shop won't be an issue if I end up ordering from them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast