Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Enfield #4 MK-1 Rebirth (project)

Well, I go to Enck's Gun Barn (Lebanon County, good shop) and run into one of our members there, Derghost. We get to rootin' around in the back and come across a couple of Enfields he just got in and a butt ton of Mosins.

Didn't buy anything that night, but I start getting a yearning....and not having a .303....well I couldn't resist this calling and a couple of weeks later found myself back at Encks and for a whole $100 walked out with an Enfield #4 Mk 1.

I hope to make this a project and document as it progresses until complete. I hope my camera is up to it and all the pictures come out OK.

Disassembled....nasty...terrible finish...rust...

Different angle.

This rifle had the best wood..the most visible rifling and the bolt matched the reciever.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Default Re: Enfield #4 MK-1 Rebirth (project)

One more.

Small parts ..lots of rust...

Finish missing...lots of rust....dirt...

Mostly surface rust.

I am not set up for bluing, but I am set up for parkerizing....hmmm, original finish was blued, but almost all my WW2 guns are parked, should fit right in with the family.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

(Blair County)

Great deal on that Enfield! I love my No. 4 Mk. 2. Got it in unissued condition for $250. Metal is 100% Stock has a couple nicks. Anyway, I'l look forward to seeing the progress of this project.

-Joe-
    ps. Good luck on finding reasonably priced .303!
    Magnum en parvo!

(Berks County)

There is some stuff I just can't live with. Some of these rifles came with an adjustable ladder sight (kinda spiffy) this flip sight...well....

Not to mention this gouged up buttplate....it's not even steel, some kind of white metal, I can't even parkerize it. To many dents......

This will NOT DO!!!

(Blair County)

Those adjustable sights are NICE! Mine has one. Have to check, but I think my Butt plate is brass. You shoulden't have trouble finding parts like that. How is the Bore? Oh and what year /factory did you get?

-Joe-
    Magnum en parvo!

(Westmoreland County)

I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I have a buddy who has an enfield in rough shape that I'm going to try to restore for him. Good luck!
    I own guns!

(Lebanon County)

I have to say there's no fun in restoring a firearm that doesn't need much hard work. Looks like a great time, hope I can find a nice project from WW1 like that.

(Berks County)

Look what the mailman dropped off!

I love Numrich! New sight $23 new butt plate $8.50! I ordered this stuff on Sunday and it showed up on Tuesday...Numrich has not failed to impress me yet with service.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

In the previous post we saw the old stuff, I know due to wartime (WW2) they cut some corners, but the flip sight and white metal buttplate just weren't going to cut it.

(Berks County)

Lets see what a little Flitz can do to the brass....

Just like when I was in the Navy....almost 20 years now and still polishing brass.

(Berks County)

For all things Enfield...go here http://www.smellysmleshooters.net/ very good resource and links, finding out about these rifles.

To get caught up to wher I am today....Spent last night freezing my biscuits in the garage sandblasting and getting metal prepped. I don't have a blast cabinet, I do it outside...Oh well, job is done now and I am all thawed out. Planning on firing up the Park. tank this weekend....then get started on the wood in the following week.

Blasted!

Blasted!

Blasted!

Note: This is the initial blast, prior to parkerizing they will be degreased and blasted again, one good thing about winter is the low humidity or I wouldn't let them sit like this for more than a day (flash rusting).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast