Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Gun Case or Gun Safe?

I will be a new gun owner soon, I have enough $$$ for the gun, but not the safe/case? I also have a home with 2 young children.

I would prefer to use a gun case for my home storage because they are a little bit cheaper and easier to hide. Ammo will be locked up in separate safe.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? Do I just need to bite the bullet and wait until I can afford a gun safe proper?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gun Case or Gun Safe?

This would depend on what gun you choose. Some brands come with a plastic case. Some of these cases have a hole in it that could take a padlock. Some don't. You can pick up plastic cases with the padlock hole pretty cheaply. You could even seal it wit a wire tie. before I picked up my safe i would use this type of case. I believe I got mine from Kmart. But that was a while ago. Dicks should have something reasonable.

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any idea as to what gun you are looking for?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Have you thought of something like this in the mean time?

http://www.smartlock.com/products.htm

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9771_200319771
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jobarre2 View Post
    I will be a new gun owner soon, I have enough $$$ for the gun, but not the safe/case? I also have a home with 2 young children.

I would prefer to use a gun case for my home storage because they are a little bit cheaper and easier to hide. Ammo will be locked up in separate safe.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? Do I just need to bite the bullet and wait until I can afford a gun safe proper?
    I have a sentry brand pistol/handgun safe/vault/cabinet (not sure which it would be called) that i picked up at walmart for about $20. Came with the bolts to secure it to a floor, foam pad on the bottom plus a shelf. Its large enough to accomodate 4 full size handguls easily, possibly 6 depending on how you put arrange them.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Berks County)

I'll tell you what I did in the few weeks before I got my safe. Most all firearms in PA are sold with that cable lock these days and most of the plastic cases that firearms are sold in have a pass through hole to run a lock or cable through to lock them. I used the cable locks to lock the cases/firearms to the bed frame under the bed. That way the guns are in there and not easily removeable. Then just look for an affordable safe and pick one up when you can.

(Bucks County)

Not sure how old your children are but "out of site. Out of mind." dont work. Yes securing your firearms is your biggest priority. But, education is also your responsibility to your children. One day those kids will be the future of our sport and this is a great opportunity not to missed. By getting time to spend with your kids and teach them and also pass on a great tradition.

I know I did not in any way answer your question.....So, gun case is fine for now. With the ammo/mags locked elseware....
    I'm not mean. I'm realistic.

(Centre County)

Until you can afford something more substantial get a gun case that you can lock. Handgun cases can be bought for less than $15 (well less if you catch a sale at Dicks, Bass Pro, or Cabela's). Rifle cases can be had for less than $30 for a good sturdy one. Again, watch for sales. New handguns typically come with a lockable case. Some rifles do, but either way, you might be able to get the dealer (or private seller) to toss in a case.

Either way, start teaching your children, unless they are too little to comprehend or reach up real high. But remember they grow quickly. I started teaching mine when they were about 4. However it was a little different as I had a locking gun cabinet (I taught them if they see one of my guns out and I wasn't around to come and get me or mom and not to touch). Then mom would tear me a new butt hole for leaving them lay around. (LOL). I learned my lesson too
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Your options include locking the case, applying a trigger lock or other lock to the firearm, locking ammunition away, and disassembling the gun. Remember you have to make it child proof - both for your kids and the most mischievous of their friends. A locked hard case with ammunition locked away someplace separate would be sufficient for me, and should not be expensive.

I would recommend not using a combination padlock as they can be broken with a little patience (especially the 3 digit ones).

(Centre County)

I'm sorta in the same boat as the OP, have a few firearms, 7&10 year olds, limited funds. My solution has been education, locking firearms in a cheap ($20) plastic case holding two pistols and two rifles on a high shelf in my closet and a rule that the kids cannot be in my room without me. The ammo to date has not been locked but is in my room in another closet high up on a shelf. My kids are never home without me, either. This has worked but will probably not be adequate as they get older? It also doesn't address thieves. My collection recently doubled with my dad's passing. I now have his .22 rifle and three shotguns. I don't have ammo for the one shotgun but do have some old slugs for the other two. I also brought home an old wooden chest that has a lock hasp? I now have asll the ammo in this box with the two pistols, locked, but this box won't stop a determined kid bit it will suffice with mine, I think, for now. I do not however now have all the rifles and shotguns locked up. So I need to do something myself. I am trusting height to help but do need to make improvements soon. Hope this helped.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

My Parents didn't hunt or have firearms in the home but my Grand Father was a hunter. As a kid I'd spend every summer at their house while my Mother worked (she couldn't afford daycare). Grandpa kept his guns in a old wood & glass gun cabinet, one in the corner behind the bedroom door and one in the corner by the backdoor (incase there was a rabbitt or woodchuck in the garden). My Uncles room was across their hall and he had a wooden cabinet full of guns too. I was taught that if I (or any of the other grandchildren) wanted to see the guns all we had to do was ask. If we wanted to go shoot, all we had to do is ask and Grandpa would take us to the old strip mine and we'd shoot til we were tired. Once we got home we had to clean the guns and Grandpa would put them away. I think the cleaning part also curbed alot of curiosity. There was never a trigger lock, case or locked anything. We learned not to touch and to respect both Him and the guns.

However, this is not the early 80's and times have changed. I bought a safe. Not so much so my son doesn't get curious but liability reasons if someone broke into my home.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast