Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Should "pistol-whipping" ever be used in a self defense situation?

We see stories about some innocent person being pistol-whipped by a bad guy...an offensive action.

But could there possibly be a situation where you are being attacked, you do not want to use lethal force by shooting someone and you would use your gun to strike the attacker as a defensive action?

Now I know this is probably not good to do for several reasons; no time to think about it when the SHTF (you'd just draw and shoot), negligent discharge, depends on if the attacker has a weapon, etc.

Would you ever consider it?

Just something to discuss on a rainy Friday

(Butler County)

Default Re: Should "pistol-whipping" ever be used in a self defense situation?

I will use anything available to ensure the safety of myself and family. If it is not wise to shoot, why not?

(Jefferson County)

When it comes to saving my skin, nothing is out of the question.

I'd never do it as an offensive action. As an act of desperation with an empty firearm? Sure. Along with scratching, biting, and hair pulling.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    I'd never do it as an offensive action. As an act of desperation with an empty firearm? Sure. Along with scratching, biting, and hair pulling.
    I'm a little worried because this is two days in a row that Joe posted almost exactly what I was thinking

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    We see stories about some innocent person being pistol-whipped by a bad guy...an offensive action.

But could there possibly be a situation where you are being attacked, you do not want to use lethal force by shooting someone and you would use your gun to strike the attacker as a defensive action?

Now I know this is probably not good to do for several reasons; no time to think about it when the SHTF (you'd just draw and shoot), negligent discharge, depends on if the attacker has a weapon, etc.

Would you ever consider it?

Just something to discuss on a rainy Friday
    happened to a friend of mine, i would post it but ive tried to find it and pocono records archives leave much to be desired, but he was being literally choked to death by someone, and tried everything he could to get the kid off of him.

the attacker was rather overweight and heavily clothed since it was cooler outside, my friend tried breaking his hands off his neck,,hitting him with his gun, etc. he tried everything he could to get the unarmed attacker off of him, but it had no effect.

he was forced to shove his 1911 into the mans gut and pull the trigger.

pistol whipping is always an option, especially in this case, where, even though the man was strangling him, the fact that he was unarmed is a prosecutors wet dream.

(Lehigh County)

Hell yeah I would do it. It wouldn't be my planned response to any situation but why not? If I went through all of my ammo, the threat(s) were still around, and the BG was in range, hell yeah I would beat em down with what ever I had available.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Chester County)

I would certainly pistol whip someone in a self defense situation...especially if they were acting like an asshole when I had them subdude...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    In terms of the law striking someone in the head with a blunt object (I would have to imagine) is also considered deadly force, so I wouldn't do it unless I couldn't shoot the person for whatever reason.
    Last edited by PA86; July 31st, 2009 at 01:12 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

What if using your precision instrument as a club renders it inoperable?

What if you are successful in disabling BG number one and his best buddy is off to the side with a gun?

What if you need it?

You've now managed to bring a rock to a gun fight.

Never hit anyone with a gun.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast