Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: CMP M1 Carbine?

Default CMP M1 Carbine?

Thinking of adding a Inland (SG) to the Collection. Since this Manufacture was offered first would I be wrong to believe that most likely there scrapping the bottom of the barrel (no pun intended) on the Inlands?
    I know its a hit or miss when purchased via mail-order, I don't want a Junker! I compete so I also plan use for Matches, want a good shooter!
    I've seen 2 CMPs (Inland) recently & they were rebarreled, furniture appeared to be very good but just my luck I would be the one to draw the Lemon.
    Has anyone here received one recently?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: CMP M1 Carbine?

i thought i saw else where that the inlands were gone??
    they were also the least expensive, everything after them will be going up in price.
    they are mix-masters, all usgi but mixed non the less. that kills any collector value, but makes for decent shooters.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

Looks like Service and Rack grade Inlands are still available.

http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

I would stay with Service as the price is not much more. One thing I know about CMP is that your premise is wrong - they do not sell the good ones first and crappy ones later. They have cases and cases of rifles that are pulled, graded and sold as orders come in. The last sold may be the best of the lot and the first could be a dog. Another thing about CMP is that they are very fair in their grading. You order a Service grade and that's what you will get.

More than a few of us bought a Inland when they first when on sale. Do a search - I think Steve posted pics of his. While mine says Service grade it looks damn brand new.

Anyway - send in your order !!!!

You can also post a Q? in their forum.

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=32

(Northumberland County)

Got one of the Inlands they were selling during the first round. LOVE it. Great condition. Got an original IBM birch stock and a winchester handguard. Otherwise, the thing shoots really well. Very pretty, too.

The CMP received many many crates of carbines, I am under the impression that they didn't open all the crates and then sort them by manufacturer. They only started opening crates and sorting then listed the Inlands. They actually offered Service Grades first, then Fields and Racks, then quietly released some more Service Grades, but with no limit to the quantity. They may be currently out again, but will most likely have more later.

Makes me regret not buying that Plainfield at Dunkelbergers last year for $300. I did get an Inland from the first round though.

(Centre County)

I just ordered a Round 2 Service Grade Inland... My first one came in great mechanical condition. The stock looked like crap, and had a hairline crack. (which seems to be unusual among the carbines)

It is a blast to shoot (pun intended!) although i did recut the crown of the barrel and saw my groups tighten up considerably.

Just get one! Even if it needs a little work, its well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

CMP also has carbine mags, USGI 15 rnds $45 for a pack of 5. For now. They will probably sell out soon, too.

(Berks County)

I recently got a service grade Underwood from CMP. Bielieve it or not it is the most accurate rifle I own. At 100 yards I get 1/2" groups from the bench. I must admit that the accuracy decreases quite a bit when I'm not usnig a bench rest.

(Lebanon County)

If you have a little vacation time, take a drive out to Camp Perry and pick one out. The guys who work there are very knowledgable, and glad to help you. I've been out there twice, and don't regret it a bit.