Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default 12 year old purchase

12 years ago my friend was selling his 357 S&W, I bought it for 350.00. There was never no transaction of paper work filed. I don't even have a receipt. I'm moving in the next few weeks to the southwest and I want to make sure I can take this pistol with me. I tried several times to get in touch with my friend but he refuses to return my calls. if anyone with info please let me know. Thanks.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: 12 year old purchase

I don't know about 12 years ago but it is my understanding that today the only handgun transfer that can take place without paper work is between:

Parent to son/daughter
    Son/daughter to parent
    Grandparent to grandson/daughter
    Grandson/daughter to grandparent

All other transfers need to go through an FFL. So if the state you are moving too requires you to register your guns you may be out of luck since it is still in your friends name.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(York County)

I would contact an FFL dealer and see if something can be done without the seller (i doubt it but worth a try)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post
    I don't know about 12 years ago but it is my understanding that today the only handgun transfer that can take place without paper work is between:

Parent to son/daughter
    Son/daughter to parent

All other transfers need to go through an FFL. So if the state you are moving too requires you to register your guns you may be out of luck since it is still in your friends name.
    What do you mean "in your friends name." There is no gun registry in PA and registration is done at the state level with states not sharing this information with each other anyway.

Moving to a new state is the best thing to happen to this OP!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post
    What do you mean "in your friends name." There is no gun registry in PA and registration is done at the state level with states not sharing this information with each other anyway.

The way I understand it he's moving out of state. Although you may have a point about states not sharing that information with each other.

If the OP is moving to a state with no gun registration he has nothing to worry about.

(Indiana County)

OP has violated no laws, and the handgun is his.

As previously stated, there is no firearms registry in Pennsylvania. Going to an FFL just so you can sell the gun to yourself is a waste of money.

Yes, handguns being sold to another person have to go through an FFL, but it's the seller's responsibility, not the purchaser's. As the law reads, the purchaser only has to shell out the cash and take possession of the firearm, nothing else.

OP, take your property and go to the southwest. You're good to go.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post

Parent to son/daughter
    Son/daughter to parent

Only if it was ever registered in the friends name. FTF on pistols is still legal in many places like VA so as long as gun doesn't pop up stolen when he registers it he should be fun.

Remember, there is no PA gun registry. </sarcasm>

(Luzerne County)

i would be more concerned about the state yo are moving to. what regulations do they have?

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post

I guess since I see them take my name, address and the gun's serial number when transfered it feels like there would be proof of ownership. I mean if he goes to the new state and they require handguns be registered (hypothetical here) and this one came back as stolen or used in a crime he could have problems. But I see your point and think I agree with you now.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard