Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO

Default LEO

I was wondering if anyone had any information that would be useful on how to go about trying to become a cop. Where can I apply? What are ways to go to the Academy? How can I take the test? Sorry to bother but thanks in advance.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: LEO

Are you talking about being a Municipal Police officer or a State Trooper?
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

A Municipal but if I decided on State Trooper, would that be a different course?

(Lawrence County)

for those of us who do not have the college credits... and would have to start as a municipal police officer.. what does that take?

http://forums.officer.com/forums/index.php

This place will have TONS of information for you. There is also a Pennsylvania section and lots of those same questions are in there.

(Lycoming County)

You need to take ACT120 Certification. There are a bunch of schools in PA that offer it. BUT some of them will only let you attend if you are sponsered (already Hired by a Dept) there are others that will let you attend. Mansfield University and HACC HArrisburg Area Community College are 2 that anyone can attend. Assuming you pass a background check.

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Lebanon County)

Mansfield University and HACC Harrisburg Area Community College are 2 that anyone can attend. Assuming you pass a background check.
    INCORRECT. Please go and read the websites on these schools. (at least HACC) You need more then a clean criminal history. You need to pass a physical, get an MMPI done, pass a physical fitness test, have an interview done, etc. I have read up on a few academies and let me tell you the way HACC does it is kinda jacked up! Personally I have yet to find one that ONLY takes those being sent by a PD.....it seems that they are the first cadets accepted, yes, and the rest are taken as the academy sees most appropriate for the course. Also, different academies charge different tuitions so if you're going to apply and pay for it yourself that is something to consider as well.

(Lycoming County)

Ok let be more Clear you have to contact the schools and jump through all the hoops.

(Lebanon County)

The info is right there on the sites. A lot of them have info packets that come with their applications too. It's pretty cut and dry as far as the requirements. Here is the site to find all the schools in PA so you can find the one closest to you... http://www.mpoetc.state.pa.us/mpotrs...&mpotrsNav=%7C

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast