Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gen4 G23 Review

Default Gen4 G23 Review

The Glock 23 is a typical boring Glock. It's utterly reliable, lightweight, soft shooting, more accurate than 99% of the people that shoot it, and extremely simple in design and function. I've had this one for a few months now and have just over 500 rounds through it and here's what I've found.

Pros:
    -Reliable (0 malfunctions of any kind; with and without tac light attached)
    -Accurate (more accurate than I am)
    -Durable (I have a Gen2 23 with thousands of rounds through it and it's still going strong)
    -Easy to maintain
    -TONS of aftermarket support
    -Accepts 13, 15, and 22 round factory magazines
    -Small and light enough to carry but holds 13+1
    -Glock's customer service is second to none
    -Durable finish
    -Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
    -Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
    -Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
    -Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
    -I like the Gen4 grip texture; especially in the 40S&W guns
    -It's had consistent ejection with all ammo

Cons:
    -I'm not a fan of the factory plastic sights
    -Comes with a serrated trigger due to import rules (easy swap)
    -I'm not a fan of the Gen4 backstrap system. It's never failed me but the system used by other manufactures integrates more seamlessly with the firearm than the Glock system

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line, a table top review and discussion, and a chronograph test with some popular defensive loads.

Chrono numbers:

Winchester Ranger 135gr JHPs: 1124 fps, 379 ft/lbs energy
    Federal HST 180gr JHPs: 997 fps, 397 ft/lbs energy
    Federal HST 165gr JHPs: 1051 fps, 405 ft/lbs energy

In summary, it's tough to go wrong with a Glock 23. It's adaptable to most uses (duty, HD, concealed carry, ect...), can be easily converted to 9mm for cheaper practice, it's adaptable to the shooters hands, and most importantly is utterly reliable.

For those who care---I'll be deleting my old youtube account and using this one going forward due to an issue with my old google account. The old videos will be switched over to this channel shortly. Thanks.

Default Re: Gen4 G23 Review

Nice review. I've had my G23 Gen 4 for about a month now and I have to admit Im really liking it. I swapped out my sights for the Glock night sights the day I bought it because I also am not a fan of the factory ones and they are working out great. Still can't believe how little recoil this compact 40 has.

(Allegheny County)

+1 on the review .
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Bucks County)

Just noticed the title is Gen4. Hope I'm not intruding by writing about my recently-acquired Gen3 Picked it up at the Warminster show (the new "Valley Forge Gun Show). Excellent show...roomy... lots there.

Had been thinking of buying a Glock, wasn't sure which model, but had pretty much settled on .40 because it can be re-barreled into a .357 Sig using the same magazine. I since have learned of the 9mm ability.

I couldn't believe the deal I stumbled on (well, not true, I did pay to get in..but I could have missed seeing it). They had about six of these G23s marked $350. Very little wear, and with Tijicon night sights that still work!
    Extra Glock factory-issued mags at $15 (like a dummy, I only bought one extra).

I took it home, ran the serial number indicating November 2004, cleaned it, took it to the range and fired it. Sweet!

The only thing I question about it is the rather high-pound trigger pull. I suspect this is a New York Trigger. Sure feels like far in excess of 5.5 pounds.
    Gonna measure it, haven't yet. I may address it, I may just leave it alone for safety...I had no problem shooting with it.

I suspect I may be skipping the .357Sig idea for the 9mm option.
    I see that some report using the G23 .40 mag for 9mm ammo without problems. I might try that on the range out of curiosity, but not for carry. Anyone have experience with the 9mm in a .40 magazine?

I tried the 9mm in a 40 once just to see if it worked---worked with one of the 5 mags I tried it in. I'd just get a 9mm mag and call it a day!

$350 for a G23 with night sights---good deal right there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    The only thing I question about it is the rather high-pound trigger pull. I suspect this is a New York Trigger. Sure feels like far in excess of 5.5 pounds.
    Gonna measure it, haven't yet. I may address it, I may just leave it alone for safety...I had no problem shooting with it.

Anyone have experience with the 9mm in a .40 magazine?
    Congrats on the G23.

Wouldn't be surprised if you have a "+" connector installed. Replacing it with a standard "."connector (or a ghost 4.5lb ranger which I recommend) is extremely easy and cheap - search youtube for connector install help.

Never liked the idea of mixing ammo types in the same mags even if the does work w/o issue -you are increasing the chance of loading the wrong ammo into a pistol.

(Philadelphia County)

Good job with the review! Glad you are having a good experience with such a utilitarian no non-sense machine.

One thing I noticed is the use of the phrase "soft shooting". I think "easy to manage/handle recoil" or "mild recoil" may describe it better...unless you meant something else.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Good job with the review! Glad you are having a good experience with such a utilitarian no non-sense machine.

One thing I noticed is the use of the phrase "soft shooting". I think "easy to manage/handle recoil" or "mild recoil" may describe it better...unless you meant something else.

Al
    What I was trying to convey is that for the size/weight/caliber it's soft shooting. Compared to say a SIG229 in 40S&W it feels like a 226 9mm (if that makes any sense....?).