Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Windsor, Vermont, Mt Carmel & Elysburg, PA, Vermont

Default Swiss K31 Advice

Friends:
    Shrubgog picked up a 7.5 x 55 mm Swiss Karabiner 31 recently, has thoughts about someday sporterizing it for hunting. Good / Bad idea? If good, how to start? Any other advice for the latest fan of this fine rifle? Thanks again to you. Shrubdog.

PS: It was youse guys on Burma Road in St Clair who showed me the fun of mil surp.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Swiss K31 Advice

Sporterize it how?

You can buy a scope mount that will not alter the rifle in any way, and hnt with that.

I have one, but have no plans to alter it in any way, except maybe adding the scope.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubdog View Post
    Friends:
    Shrubgog picked up a 7.5 x 55 mm Swiss Karabiner 31 recently, has thoughts about someday sporterizing it for hunting. Good / Bad idea? If good, how to start? Any other advice for the latest fan of this fine rifle? Thanks again to you. Shrubdog.

PS: It was youse guys on Burma Road in St Clair who showed me the fun of mil surp.
    If you do that it will make me cry. They are so acurate as is, why would you alter it? Buy the clamp on scope mount if you want to scope it. I have one, they're great.

K31s are unique rifles with a lot of history, please don't hurt the poor thing.

Shrubdog has his tail between his legs as he hides from his dumb question about sporterizing a Swiss K 31. Thanks Steve in PA and Kypt for advising me against something stupid. That's why I rely on you folks for important advice, I know you know. Shrubdog.

(Lebanon County)

Nijwnfi recommends the StMarie clamp on mount. Good Quality product, I think Brownells sells them, Shrubdog will like!!

I would advise against sporting out a K31. Since I have had my C and R FFL, they have gone up in price quite a bit. An indication that they are getting lower on supply and higher on demand. Imagine all the happy people who bought 30 40 Kraigs and chopped them to peices to hunt with them in the 60s and 70s. Are they ever going to be worth a mint, probably not, but for a guy like me, they need to be left alone.
    Jules

(Lebanon County)

Also, if you want a sporterized Schmidt Rubin, keep an eye out for an Alpine Carbine. It's a K11 carbine rechambered in 308 with a cut stock. I shot one before, and really liked it. The work was well done.

Friends:
    Shrubdog is eating up your good advice for my Swiss K31, looking into clamp-on scope mount. Any advice on Steel VS Aluminum mounts? Special rings? Also, I have several excess scopes that could be mounted on the K31; 4x Pentax, 3-9x Simmons, 4-12x AO Burris. Which might be best for her? Thanks, Shrubdog.

(Lehigh County)

The only thing with the clamp on mounts is they're not inline with the bore at all and you have to stretch your neck out to the right of the rifle it just feels awkward these rifles weren't meant to have scopes.

(Butler County)

Not sure what kind of hunting you are planning on but it seems to me that the safety would be a real limitation in many circumstances. If you would be up in a treestand, maybe not, but otherwise.....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast