Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Question Which .22 is better?

I've been wanting a .22LR pistol for awhile... I'm trying to decide if I want a S&W 22A, or the Beretta Neos... I shot Frenchy's Neos, and Lycan's 22A, but just can't decide which one I want... lol

Both seem to be good pistols, and I am open to suggestions... I was also thinking of a Taurus .22 revolver, because I think hunting squirrels with a revolver would be fun and up the difficulty level over my .410... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

Default Re: Which .22 is better?

I assume Ruger and Browning are off the table? IMHO, both are better than the two you mentioned.

I'm sure there are those who will disagree, though
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Cumberland County)

If you go the route of the 22A you will have to live with the fact that your going to have to replace recoil buffers with regularity under heavy fire. That being said I cant tolerate the handle of the neos and would probably put up with the buffers. They are covered under warranty but I am not sure the duration that the warranty covers them. Ask your dealer for their knowledge and experience or maybe someone else will chime in here.

When I was in the mood for a 22 pistol I looked up and found an old ruger standard after not doing backflips over the other options that were out there.

(Allegheny County)

I think you're on the money with a Taurus model 94 - 22 revolver, 9 rounds, adjustable sights, 4-6 inch barrel.

Like this one:
    http://www.riverviewsales.net/Mercha..._Code=2-940049

BTW, less cleaning than auto to keep it running, you can shoot cheap ammo if you want (no worries about cycling, like in an auto)
    Last edited by Hawk; January 13th, 2009 at 03:30 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

I wanted a 22lr revolver a cpl years ago, bought a Taurus 94. Good shape, shot ok(a few light primer strikes) but was accurate. Cylinder release button was a little jiggly no matter how tight the screw. For $250, which I then sold for $250 it was an ok deal. Next one I get will be a S&W.

(Berks County)

I have a NEOS and I really like it. I also have a Ruger MkIII heavy barrel and while it is a bit more accurate than the Beretta I have had many more problems with it starting with a bad extractor from the top. Because of that I would definitely say to go with the NEOS.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    I assume Ruger and Browning are off the table? IMHO, both are better than the two you mentioned.

I'm sure there are those who will disagree, though

I see nothing to disagree with. You are correct, but given these two choices I'd go with the Neos. Read LOTS of bad things about the 22A. The main complaints seem to be disappointing (not neccessarily bad) accuracy and poor durability. Zinc alloy is not known for it's durability.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

well personally id go with the revolver, but i shot .22's all the time and after i shot the .17 hmr there havent been near as many squirrels out at my place. :P but if you want to stick with the .22 id get the ruger single six. you get 2 barrels where you can shoot .22 mags and another one for regular .22 lr. thats just me though

(Montgomery County)

I have a Walther P22, a Browning Buckmark Hunter, Ruger Single Six, and my cousin has a Beretta NEO, my uncle a S&W 2210. Out of all of them I'd take the Browning hands down. It has the best trigger and feel in my hands. Right out of the book it was accurate than any of the others. If you are set on a revolver, the Ruger Single Six has been a great gun for me. I like having the option of shooting a magnum round out of it as well as the LR. A friend of mine has a S&W 22lr revolver (forget the model) and its a nice piece too.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Susquehanna County)

Personally for a .22 semi-auto I wouldn't consider either the Neo or the P22.

Don't forget PA's "NO semi-auto rule" for hunting!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast