Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default 44 Mag VS .357 Mag

i am looking for ballistics comparing the two calibers. i personally enjoy the .357 mag better for shooting for fun and personal defense but i would like to compare the two for my friend that has it in his mind that nothing can beat 44 mag. if you would please post everything you know about them and personal preferences and why it would be greatly appreciated

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 44 Mag VS .357 Mag

If you're looking for charts, numbers and other stuff..here is the link you want.
    I wanted to like 44mag. Bought the ammo, brass, primers, bullets, dies etc. Got the gun and realized that after 40rounds or so of it, I don't want to shoot it anymore. Wasn't the "fun" I thought it would be, so I sold it all and have come to the conclusion I am a 357mag man all the way. I, unfortunately, am in between 357mag guns right now, but hope to rectify that come tax return time.

that was exactly my perspective...i always wanted to shoot the famous "Dirty Harry" caliber and i must say that when i finished the 4 reload in a ruger super blackhawk 12 inch barrel that was enough exitement for me. so yesterday i havent shot a 357 in forever and i took my gp-100 out for a spin and man o man did i have some fun. and ya man the tax return will give a many o people the means to go out and get there beloved guns and hopefully you will get your perfect 357. may i suggest the gp-100 unless you will be wanting to carry it.

(Bucks County)

I have the luxury of time instead of money right now, so I am giving consideration to Ruger GP100, many options in S&W, and the Colt Pythons have always intrigued me. I owned a S&W 686-5 and loved alot of things about it, but was not a fan of the frame-mounted firing pin. If I were to get another it would be an older version, say the -3 or -4's. I reload, so the 357mag is a perfect caliber to reload for, I can't wait to get another.

now that you mention reloading, that intrigues me. ive never tried or ever seen anybody do it....can you tell me how difficult it is or how much time is evolved and how to get started pricing, etc. pretty much the whole nine yards

(Lancaster County)

So why is the 357 mag more exciting than the 44 mag? Why is the 357 mag prefered over the 44 mag, I would think the 44 mag would be more fun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W 10mm View Post
    now that you mention reloading, that intrigues me. ive never tried or ever seen anybody do it....can you tell me how difficult it is or how much time is evolved and how to get started pricing, etc. pretty much the whole nine yards
    Reloading is not difficult at all, and I enjoy "stocking up" on my ammo cache.
    Buy a couple reloading manuals like Lee, Speer, Hornady etc and read up. I bought a Lee Classic Turret press and have used the hell out of it in the last year. Lee is good quality to start with and they have alot of stuff, very innovative in the reloading industry. Do searches on handgun reloading on this and other forums, that's what I did.

(Philadelphia County)

i shoot both calibers and prefer the .357 if i plan to get through a whole box or 2 and bring the .44 if i just wanna shoot a little and bring another pistol to shoot as well. mine are a ruger 50th flat top in .357 and a model 29 in 8 3/8th" and it is mean! but so was .357 when i first started shooting so you just have to build up the strength and the experience with the round. i will say one thing, i just noticed i haven't shot my .357 since i got the .44 .... hmm. but both calibers have a special that's pleasant to shoot but .44 is double the price and the .44 specials cost more than mag at my range but the .44 is so damn fun for about 3 cylinders!
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

how much on average do you save when reloading???

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    So why is the 357 mag more exciting than the 44 mag? Why is the 357 mag prefered over the 44 mag, I would think the 44 mag would be more fun.
    well its more fun to me because the .44 mag i shot wasnt very fun. it kicked like a mule and i couldnt even get near the center of the target. the 44 i had was also originally a 8 inch barrel but was professionally made into a 12 inch. may have had to do with the accuracy...the .357 is so exciting because you have a good kick but its like you can feel the power your holding and releasing. you can shoot easily 2 boxes with nice hogue/pacmyer grips. its just the 44 was way more kick than i like. i liked having the experience and i would shoot a 44 again but id shoot a 357 often and a 44 scarcely

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast