Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Washington D.C. police investigating whether NBC moderator [D. Gregory] violated law

Washington Metropolitan Police Department is investigating whether NBC’s David Gregory violated D.C. gun laws when he displayed what he described as a 30 round magazine as part of an interview during Sunday’s “Meet the Press.”

“So here’s a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets. Now isn’t it possible that if we got rid of these, if we replaced them and said well, you can only have a magazine that carries five bullets or ten bullets, isn’t it just possible that we could reduce the carnage in a situation like Newtown?” show moderator Gregory asked Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association.

Possessing a large capacity ammunition device, such as a magazine, is illegal in the District of Columbia if the device holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The code also specifies the large devices are illegal regardless of whether or not they're attached to a firearm. Gregory showed the magazine Sunday without a firearm attached.

NBC’s studios, from which “Meet the Press” is broadcast, are located within city limits. The network did not respond to CNN’s requests for comment.

In the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, gun control advocates have been pushing for a limit on high capacity magazines. Such a restriction is one of the items President Barack Obama mentioned last week when he announced an administration effort to curb violence.

“I don’t believe that’s going to make one difference,” LaPierre told Gregory during the show.

Several conservative commentators first raised the issue of whether Gregory had broken D.C. law by using the magazine.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-violated-law/

Charge him!

There is one set of laws in this nation.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Default Re: Washington D.C. police investigating whether NBC moderator [D. Gregory] violated

Seeing it, it did kinda look like there was no spring or follower in the mag in question, just a base plate. Like I said, kinda.

It was hard to tell and they never really focused on or zoomed in on the mag. If it was just the mag body and floor plate, dont think he's in violation. IANAL

ETA- if it was indeed a functional mag though, he should be punished to fullest extent of the law. Which I'm sure he supports and voted for
    Last edited by brownman; December 25th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
    and to the dust you shall return

Default Re: Washington D.C. police investigating whether NBC moderator [D. Gregory] violated

I wondered this very same question when I saw the interview. If thats really a 30 round mag, he deserves what ever treatment under the law that countless good well intentioned citizens received by over zealous arrests, like in NYC and Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Seeing it, it did kinda look like there was no spring or follower in the mag in question, just a base plate. Like I said, kinda.

It was hard to tell and they never really focused on or zoomed in on the mag. If it was just the mag body and floor plate, dont think he's in violation. IANAL
    Sorry, but there are no exceptions in the law for journalists.

Apparently, NBC asked to use the magazine and was denied but went ahead and did it anyway.

They have to follow the same laws you and I do.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post

Possessing a large capacity ammunition device, such as a magazine, is illegal in the District of Columbia if the device holds more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The code also specifies the large devices are illegal regardless of whether or not they're attached to a firearm. Gregory showed the magazine Sunday without a firearm attached.

NBC’s studios, from which “Meet the Press” is broadcast, are located within city limits. The network did not respond to CNN’s requests for comment.

In the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, gun control advocates have been pushing for a limit on high capacity magazines. Such a restriction is one of the items President Barack Obama mentioned last week when he announced an administration effort to curb violence.

“I don’t believe that’s going to make one difference,” I mean, look, there already ARE illegal here , yet it didn't stop you from getting one". LaPierre told Gregory during the show.

Several conservative commentators first raised the issue of whether Gregory had broken D.C. law by using the magazine.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-violated-law/

Charge him!

There is one set of laws in this nation.

Too bad LaPierre wasn't a little quicker with his response ^^^^
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post

Too bad LaPierre wasn't a little quicker with his response ^^^^
    Actually, it is probably better that LaPierre did not say anything.....would have looked political or like a gotcha......now it is simply people watching noticing he was committing a felony.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I wondered this very same question when I saw the interview. If thats really a 30 round mag, he deserves what ever treatment under the law that countless good well intentioned citizens received by over zealous arrests, like in NYC and Nj.
    I am sure it will turn out to be JUST a Hollywood "movie prop".

I hope they charge him, that would be great
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

I'm shocked DCPD even started the ball rolling to look into this to be honest. Does anybody know what the law says in DC about the mags? Is the an empty mag body considered to be a "magazine" under the law?

I read the dc law; I don't have it handy on my phone here, but the way it's written specifically prohibits such a magazine even without a firearm, and further, any such ammo feeding device that can be readily made/ converted to feed ammo over 10 rounds.

That seems to cover this incident even if they claim that there was no follower or base plate. 'Readily converted' seems to imply that just the magazine box would be a no go, since it readily feeds 30 rounds upon simple assembly of the base plate.

NBC will still get away with this somehow; they got away with doctoring those Zimmerman 911 tapes to libel him a racist.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast