Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Advice on keeping my HP pistol secure?

For years, I've always kept my home protection pistol condition-one at the house (it's also my CC, so it is never left unattended). Usually in a nightstand, dresser drawer, or other 'inconspicuous' location. As the nieces and nephews got older, and my own child was born, it moved to more and more secure location, higher up out of their reach. I do not carry inside the house, as I am often rolling around on the floor playing with the dog and my daughter.

Well, I always knew this day would come... my daughter is now 3 1/2, quite tall for her age, and knows how to move chairs around to get to high places she can't reach. While she isn't quite capable to get to where I keep the pistol now, or even taken an interest in the area, I believe the time has come to make it completely secure.

My wife feels that, since we live in a nice neighborhood, it should be kept unloaded, in a safe. She knows this is not an option for me, but I'm willing to make it secure from little hands. I have always been of the feeling that it is useless if it's not with easy reach and kept condition-one. But again, little hands...

So my question, especially for parents of younger children is, how do you make that compromise, and what are my best solutions to make us all happy, and most importantly safe?

Ideally, it need to be (relatively) inexpensive, secure, and easily accessed in an emergency.

Looking for pros/cons/recomendations on:

Trigger locks
    Push-button style combination safes
    Biometric style safes
    Other recommendations I should be considering?

Thanks in advance...

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Advice on keeping my HP pistol secure?

I totally understand where you are coming from with this. I've never been a fan of trigger locks or anything else that tirns your H D firearm a club without spending precious time to undo the safeties.

Gunvault make both biometric and finger combination safes that would suit your needs. I actually prefer the finger combination safes for stowing my H D handgun. Batteries have a bad habit of failing at the most inoportune times, so a mechanical lock is a big plus for me. You can store your pistol, light, and a few other items and access them quicker than if you have to remove a trigger lock.

Hope that helps

Rick

(Northampton County)

Id say its about time to start teaching your kid about gun safety, and that its not ok to touch your guns. Then maybe a small hidden safe with easy access for those who know where it is.

Maybe something along these lines?
    http://www.policemag.com/channel/wea...-gun-safe.aspx

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JStem1283 View Post
    Id say its about time to start teaching your kid about gun safety, and that its not ok to touch your guns. Then maybe a small hidden safe with easy access for those who know where it is.
    I don't disagree. And it's a topic me and the wife (not anti, but not real comfortable with guns) are starting to really discuss. But a 3 year old, even one as well behaved as my daughter, is still a very curious creature.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    I don't disagree. And it's a topic me and the wife (not anti, but not real comfortable with guns) are starting to really discuss. But a 3 year old, even one as well behaved as my daughter, is still a very curious creature.
    Agreed. To keep our young children from having access to my primary carry/home protection gun we keep it in a GunVault like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8VUR0/
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    Gunvault make both biometric and finger combination safes that would suit your needs. I actually prefer the finger combination safes for stowing my H D handgun. Batteries have a bad habit of failing at the most inoportune times, so a mechanical lock is a big plus for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Agreed. To keep our young children from having access to my primary carry/home protection gun we keep it in a GunVault like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8VUR0/
    OK, I've been searching around, and this is a name that keeps coming up. Looking at GunVault's site, even the non-bio ones take batteries. I'm liking this one, but it seams that even the 'finger-combo' option is still electronically activated (go to 'specs' and they all list a battery).

V-Line Top Draw safe: http://www.vlineind.com/html/top_draw.html

Completely mechanical, no batteries or backup key needed. Quick to open, even w/o eyes.

Best price I found was at Wayfair.com, of all places. On sale for $160 until tomorrow, and you can always find a 10% discount code.

(Montgomery County)

I like this style of speed safe. Mount it out of sight at your eye level. Your pistol is secure and easily accessible if needed.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104369580
    Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...specnic75.html

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

There's the pros and the cons, but I keep mine in a combination safe. I made that choice primarily due to economics. I work in that state on the east side of the Delaware river, so it cuts down on my carrying time and keeps things locked and safe as I yearn for a quick and safe return to Pennsylvania after work!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    OK, I've been searching around, and this is a name that keeps coming up. Looking at GunVault's site, even the non-bio ones take batteries. I'm liking this one, but it seams that even the 'finger-combo' option is still electronically activated (go to 'specs' and they all list a battery).
    The one I have uses an AC-DC power adapter, with batteries for backup and a mechanical key access if both power sources fail. I keep the key available but not readily accessible, I leave the GunVault plugged in and also keep batteries installed for if the power goes out. The manual says to replace the AA batts every year, but I'm going on 2.5 years now and they still test ok. (Make sure to use fresh alkalines all from the same package or at least with the same manufacturer and Use By date if you go this route.)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast