Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Angry Delaware County PA Mailing to Permit Holders

I came home late last evening from a business trip to find in my mail pile a quad fold mailer from the Delaware County Sheriff's Office. I was frustrated from the moment I saw it and it just kept getting worse the more I read.

First on the front of the mailer in big letter is "GUN PERMIT GUN SAFETY". This is not in an envelop mind you so anyone saying the mail see this. I think that this proclaims that the addressee has a "Gun Permit". Now what in the world is a "Gun Permit" under PA law? There is no such animal.

In side this wonderful document that I would assume was created and mailed with out fee money under the header of "Carrying Concealed" it goes on to tell the reader that "Gun Permit travelers are prohibited from carrying concealed weapons in an Federal installation; ie. Post Offices, Court Houses, National Forests and some National Parks. Other universally restricted areas are military bases, educational institutions, law enforcemnt offices and most health and day care facilities." Let me see, do I have enough fingers to count in inaccuracies with just this one section?

There is another section entitled "Transportation of a Firearm" which is full of bad information and half truths as well. Of course no where in this document is Open Carry even acknowledged. I don't open carry very often but it is the law of the land.

This makes me want to go get the duct tape. My head is about to explode!
    Last edited by shermdo; October 12th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Gun Safety Pamphlet Re: Transporting Firearms

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, I didn't see it.

I just received a pamphlet in the mail today from the Delaware County Sheriff's Office called Gun Permit, Gun Safety. I'm a little confused about something. In it, under Transportation of a Firearm it says...

"If you are licensed gun permit carrier in Pennsylvania, you are permitted to transport your firearm in a motor vehicle unloaded, cased and secured in the trunk or rear storage area. This means a firearm with no ammunition in the chamber or magazine in an area outside of the passenger compartment. For motorcyclists, the rear compartment constitutes a trunk. Weapon and ammunition must be kept separately." (Emphasis mine)

I could do that without my LTCF. Did I miss something? Are we not allowed to carry loaded in a vehicle now?

Edit: Looks like Shermdo beat me to posting this. Musta been writing it at the same time.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gun Safety Pamphlet Re: Transporting Firearms

Seems like that pamphlet is a lock to win "most lies and fallacies per page contest -- small documents category."

(Tioga County)

Well he's wrong. I think the use of the word firearm is wrongly applied. you still can't carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in your car, but you can carry a pistol. There is an exception if you have the federal tax stamp for a short barreled shotgun ( distructive device) you can carry that. Rifles and shotguns are not firearms as applied to concealed carry.

(Delaware County)

I received one today too, not sure if you'll be able to read it but I photographed it.

ENJOY, it's good fiction.

(Tioga County)

I just did a very quick scan of the doument in question. one thig caught my eye right off that is very misleading. It says Alaska doesn't recognize the PA permit. he is correct in that respect. However, you don't need a permit to carry in Alaska. I'm sure you can find other stuff that is dated in it. it needs to be update. I I was down there I would take his course and be armed with the facts and rip them up.
    Yep would print out the aplicable law and reference the decisions that conflict with the pamphlet.

If I was feeling really mean I would make up some handouts in advace and be ready to hand them out. I suspect they would stop you from doing that and kick you out of the class. I would then inform the class I was going be at a place after class if they want the handout.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I just did a very quick scan of the doument in question. one thig caught my eye right off that is very misleading. It says Alaska doesn't recognize the PA permit. he is correct in that respect.
    I thought Alaska accepted ours and we theirs according to Handgunlaw.us's map, which is kept current as far as I know.

Edit : I re-read your message and I see what you mean, forget this message.
    Last edited by ScottPA; October 12th, 2007 at 06:57 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Delaware County PA Mailing to Permit Holders

I will be writing a detailed, concise letter of attention on this issue to send to the sheriff. I will be including the Open Carry training memo and the PA Gun Rights flyer.
    It will be sent certified mail with a request of reply from Sheriff McGinn.

This will happen sometime this coming week, I will post it here before mailing for review.

I think it's atrocious that the issuing authority for LTCF's is so ignorant ofactual gun laws.

(Luzerne County)

I will be writing a detailed, concise letter of attention on this issue to send to the sheriff. I will be including the Open Carry training memo and the PA Gun Rights flyer.
    It will be sent certified mail with a request of reply from Sheriff McGinn.

This will happen sometime this coming week, I will post it in the Shermdo thread:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...t-holders.html
    before mailing for review.

I think it's atrocious that the issuing authority for LTCF's is so ignorant of actual gun laws.

(Luzerne County)

PS: Can someone send me...
    1) a clear scan of this
    2) an original postcard from this mailing.

Please PM me if you can help with either - thanks

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast