Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default shooting from treestand question

just missed a nice one this morning. Im in a treestand a deer is standing 15 yards away i put my 20 on him and missed low what the hell is wrong do you have to aim that much lower when up in the air?

(Columbia County)

Default Re: shooting from treestand question

Asume you didn't flinch ( IT happens) most of your shots out of a stand will hit high. It might have been farther than 15 thats my only guess.
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(York County)

brother that could have been anything, one did you use a rangefinder or judge it, hell either one could be off lol, my range finder (nikon) is off a good bit the higher up i go, i have to range a tree that is about eye level with me from my stand to get a semi accurate reading, you could have possibly hit a small limb, dropped your bow arm, was the arrow on the rest completely? but i agree with toady, i will normally hit high if anything
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Monroe County)

Check you gear, go shoot a few practice arrows. A lot can happen to a bow during hunting season, rests move, pins move, peeps move...

Also its possible you anchored differently due to clothing you were wearing or a sleeve / collar got caught in the string.

Its also always possible that you dropped the arm, were shaking like a leaf and missed, didn't aim correctly... the number of possibles are way to high to fathom.

Personally just be grateful it was a clean miss and not a crappy shot. Better to have the deer a little spooked then slowly dieing.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lawrence County)

If you hit low why would you want to aim lower to correct it? Shooting over his back would have made more sense as you were already shooting 15 yards off your 20 pin and you are always going to be a little high when shooting down.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    If you hit low why would you want to aim lower to correct it? Shooting over his back would have made more sense as you were already shooting 15 yards off your 20 pin and you are always going to be a little high when shooting down.
    you would want to user a lower pin which actually means you are aiming higher.

The general rule is chase the arrow, if you are hitting low move you sight lower, in the event that the 20 yard pin is already set the lower pin would be 30 (or so) and that would be the next pin.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Venango County)

1) You should ALWAYS practice from treestand heights to see what your bow will do.....

2) Normally an arrow will drop less when shooting from elevation, due to less horizontal travel....most people shoot over a deer they know is X yards away....

my guess, and don't take this the wrong way....I may be totally wrong here, is you looked for the arrow..I have done this myself...you subconsciously push the bow down out of the way to see where the arrow hits....

That or your bow may not be tuned correctly, and isn't stabilizing vertically that close....I have seen this before as well.....have you practiced with broadheads?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Cumberland County)

one other thing is to make sure that you pivot down at your hips when leaning down to make a shot instead of raising your back arm. Does that make sense? I'm trying to think of a good way to describe it and that is the best way I found
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    one other thing is to make sure that you pivot down at your hips when leaning down to make a shot instead of raising your back arm. Does that make sense? I'm trying to think of a good way to describe it and that is the best way I found
    yup that is a good way of describing it,

Your bow arm should always be straight and your draw should always be straight, even if you are shooting at an angle. When shooting an angle you should set your and bend at the waist, keeping your upper body perfectly straight, just like you would when shooting normally

its a lot harder to do then it sounds!

- At 15 yards the arrow drop should be less then an inch with most bows, thats why most people shoot with a 20 yard first pin, the arrow drop is so minimal from 5 yards - 20 yards that its normally not possible to have 2 different pins.

I have to agree with the dropping the arm comment. I think thats right on the money.

(Fayette County)

Like already mentioned ALWAYS practice from your treestand. My guess is you dropped your bow arm since you were already "aiming high" with the 20 pin at 15, that or you misjudged the yardage and it was farther than you thought.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard