Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Question Nearing a YEAR since the Scare...so, where's the ammo?

As I was checking around for some ammo today (and subsequently skipping over Tula .223 for $300/1,000 that I found everywhere I looked, otherwise it was all out of stock), it donned on me that we are nearing a year since the last shortage-sparking event. With that said, all the rhetoric about how the shortage would only last a few months has been said to death, so where is the ammo? The continuing (artificially sustained?) shortage is not as bad, but some calibers are simply not decreasing in price/increasing in stock. I watched a 2011 video from Military Arms Channel in which he mentioned that he paid something like $180 for a case of 1,000 rounds of Wolf .223...Have Russian imports been drastically curtailed? Perhaps we have simply taken the step to a higher permanent "bracket" of ammo prices...sad.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Nearing a YEAR since the Scare...so, where's the ammo?

Most ammo has come back in stock and prices are slowly coming down. Right now they're about 25% higher than pre-panic prices. The only ammo that you will have a difficult time finding, and at a reasonable price, is .22 LR.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I've stocked up recently on $300 cases of 9mm and $400 cases of PMC 5.56. I figured it was worth it to restock at that price, since the next panic could happen tomorrow, for all I know. But rimfire... I bought many bricks of .22LR in January and haven't seen one in the wild since

(Berks County)

Yeah, stinking 22lr is hard to find & way expensive when I find it. I'm glad I reload for my centerfire calibers.

As has been said many times though, it's just a simple supply/demand issue. The demand has gone down some, but nowhere near the levels of pre Sandy Hook. With so many newer shooters out there, this was their first panic. It was mine & I will be keeping much higher levels of ammo/components on hand for the future. I know I'm not alone in this.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by StingyGunner View Post
    As I was checking around for some ammo today (and subsequently skipping over Tula .223 for $300/1,000 that I found everywhere I looked, otherwise it was all out of stock), it donned on me that we are nearing a year since the last shortage-sparking event. With that said, all the rhetoric about how the shortage would only last a few months has been said to death, so where is the ammo
    Who the hell said that? The ammo is in 2015, where's it's always been. Just like last time in 2007-2008 when it took until 2011 to completely drop to normal prices. Look at the Walmart Ammo thread - that thread wasn't even started until 2009, 1-1/2 to 2 years into the last shortage.

(York County)

With the closure of the last U.S. based lead smelting plant, I wouldn't expect an availability increase...only higher prices and scarcity.

The lead smelting plant closing is one of those things I am not too sure about. I can understand the loss of jobs. I think that if the price goes up, it would be for profit. I understand it happen because of the EPA, but was it a Union Plant. If so can the Ammo plants get the lead cheaper from over seas? I don't know if it was a that way, but most of the time it is cheaper to get stuff made over seas were they don't have to deal with the EPA or Unions. Just Saying.

I have all the ammo I need on the shelf for years. I reload and can simply pick off what I need and make it.

Don't know why more people don't make the investment, if it can take this fear off the table, and drop costs substantially.
    Last edited by ShooterInPA1; November 12th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Allegheny County)

Of the ten bazillion gun owners who were paying attention to their surroundings a year ago, how many of them do you think BUY AMMO ANY TIME THEY SEE IT NOW?

THAT is where all the friggin' ammo is.

This isn't rocket science.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Which would be feasible, provided the govt. wasn't planning on using this as a way to control ammo availability. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't lessen the threat.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast