Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Glock KCI/Kahn Magazine warning

As the thread title warns.....glock owners beware

I was at the glock talk forums site and I saw a good write up on the KCI/ Kahn mags there.

So now having a new Glock in the family, I went to Copes and ordered 5 G17 and 5 G22 mags.

I have a G22 and a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel, so this looked like a good deal.

Brothers and sisters, was I wrong, very very wrong

Of the 5 G 17 mags only 2 were actually drop free.

Of the 5 G22 mags only 1 was actually drop free.

The price was right and out of the pacakaging they looked good. But as they say looks can be deceiving.

The bulk of the G22 mags were oversized to the point that they would barely fit into the pistol. All of the G22 mags, the back of the metal liner of the mags were hitting the ejector.

All of the mags had one common issue, the mag follower lip that engages the slide lock were not as deep as the stock glock mags were. Most of the mags the follower either did not fully engage the slide lock or got caught on the side of the slide lock.

I called Copes and they will give me a credit back with no hassles or a need for an RMA

So if you hear that these mags are the same as glock issue, or see the youtube video from topglock....don't you belive it.

Just passing this on as a warning to my fellow glockers out there.

now please don't tell anyone else I own a glock..ok???
    gotta love her ;)

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock KCI/Kahn Magazine warning

Good post, thanks for sharing. At $10-12 a piece, I'm sure a lot of folks were tempted.

Reminds me of the old saying:

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Northumberland County)

Odd, I have ordered G19 and G17 KCI mags from Cope's with never a problem. In fact, all of the mags I got were identical copies of the 4th gen mags.
    Never had a problem with them feeding, dropping free, etc.
    In fact, used them in a practical shooting match yesterday with my G19. They ran without a hitch!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

Well that Sucks, But at least you can get a credit for them.

I own an original 1st Gen G17 and those were originally designed to NOT have the mags drop free, I seem to recall it was a requirement of the Austrian Military at the time.

But it sounds as if you were having other problems also, Thanks for the Info.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Berks County)

I don't doubt the OP - however, I ordered 3 33rd mags made by KCI fom CheaperThenDirt for $19.99 each and all 3 oprated flawlessly in my Glock 19. I've since sold the 19 and the KCI mags but will probably end up purchasing more for my new 17. YMMV

(Franklin County)

What's that they say " Buy Once, Cry Once"

I have two for my glock 19. The fit and finish isn't as good as the factory glock mags. Rougher around the lips, the metal isn't as smooth around the feed lips and is somewhat sharp. The polymer isn't as smooth either.

They function fine though and are drop free. They are more difficult to load as the shells don't go straight down into the mag as you feed rounds into them and they tend to bind up and require considerable force to get them loaded over the glock mags. I do reloading drills with them, fire two rounds do a fast reload with the spare mag and fire two more rounds. They get dropped and beat around and I don't have to worry about them.

I've had no feeding issues or malfuntions with them.

(Delaware County)

The two 15-round 9mm mags I've tested are working fine and drop free. The 17-round 9mm mags don't always drop free, and seem to be causing stovepipe jams. I wonder if the feed lips are dragging on the slide or something. I haven't really investigated, I just went back to using Glock mags, and ordered 10 more as soon as I found some more for $20 each.

The 17-round mags, although they seem to be direct copies of Glock mags, are harder to load for some reason. It had something to do with the follower rocking back and forth.

I have some of the 33-round mags but haven't tested them beyond checking to see that they will lock the slide open when empty. . . which they do.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.