Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Lightbulb Is "Printing" Illegal in PA?

I asked this question in another forum and it started to receive some great responses. Here is my original post; Let me know what you think.

"I decided to start carrying OWB. I had surgery on my hip so it bothers when I carry IWB".

My question is,

Is it illegal to print? Can a LEO leagally stop and question you if he assumes you are carrying? Can you loose your CCW if so? Especially in Class 1 Cities like Philadelphia.

Has anyone on this forum ever been stopped by a LEO for printing? (Sorry for all the questions, but its always good to be informed about situations like this.)

Default Re: Is "Printing" Illegal in PA?

To the best of my knowledge:
    You can carry openly in Pennsylvania, so printing certainly isn't illegal. Although, when my father got his LTCF about a month ago, the people in the Sheriff's office told him printing was illegal. Though I believe the law is clear, there seems to be some confusion amongst law enforcement.

If I'm wrong about anything, please correct me.

(York County)

Hell no .
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Berks County)

Illegal? Hells naw.

Unsightly and a fashion faux pas? Yes. If your carry rig does not work with your cover garment, leaving a bulge sticking out, you should just go ahead and open carry. Make sure your gun belt and holster match your shoes. And no white after Labor Day.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Illegal? Hells naw.

Unsightly and a fashion faux pas? Yes. If your carry rig does not work with your cover garment, leaving a bulge sticking out, you should just go ahead and open carry. Make sure your gun belt and holster match your shoes. And no white after Labor Day.
    This is a good point, however, Open Carry is not legal in Philadelphia (Class 1 city) from what I understand? Or at least not a smart idea

Quote Originally Posted by AirAssaultTrooper View Post
    This is a good point, however, Open Carry is not legal in Philadelphia (Class 1 city) from what I understand? Or at least not a smart idea
    OC is legal in Philty, with a LTCF.

(Lawrence County)

I asked this question in another forum and it started to receive some great responses. Here is my original post; Let me know what you think.

"I decided to start carrying OWB. I had surgery on my hip so it bothers when I carry IWB".

My question is,

Is it illegal to print? Can a LEO leagally stop and question you if he assumes you are carrying? Can you loose your CCW if so? Especially in Class 1 Cities like Philadelphia.

Has anyone on this forum ever been stopped by a LEO for printing? (Sorry for all the questions, but its always good to be informed about situations like this.)
    The letter that accompanied my license state not to carry in bars or state parks either...lol both of which are completely legal.

Printing is alright as long as you can make a fashion statement.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    OC is legal in Philty, with a LTCF.
    I guess my next question would be, Is it legal for LEO to stop to check and see if the budge is a weapon? (considering you have a LTCF)

(York County)

My question is,

Is it illegal to print?
    No, it is not illegal to print. It would be kinda silly in a state where open carry is legal. HOWEVER... I believe you may only carry concealed in a State Park with your LTCF, so printing may get you into trouble under those specific circumstances.

Can a LEO leagally stop and question you if he assumes you are carrying? Can you loose your CCW if so? Especially in Class 1 Cities like Philadelphia.
    Good question. First, a LEO can question you about anything, anytime, as a *mere encounter*. How you respond is entirely up to you. If the LEO decides he doesn't like your response, he may try to build himself a case for RAS on that alone, however, they are not supposed to. If you are CCing and are seen getting in/out of a vehicle, a LEO *could* demand to see your LTCF, although the law isn't really clear on this. Also, in a State Park you could be stopped and questioned.

I don't understand why you think you would lose your LTCF. You do understand that having a PA LTCF does NOT require you to Concealed Carry, right?

In Philly, you must have your LTCF to carry OPEN OR CONCEALED, therefore there is no issue of printing. The only place in PA (that I can think of) that requires concealed carry, is a State Park.

Define "stopped". Folks on this forum have been stopped for all sorts of reasons involving various methods of carry. A great many of those stops have been because of the LEO's ignorance of, or indifference to, the laws. Apparently, many of them believe they are above it.

Lastly... I am not a lawyer. I hope this helps.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Dauphin County)

If you did want to use an IWB holster, check out the CrossBreed SuperTuck. Its wide leather backing is very comfortable and may provide you the comfort you need after your surgery.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/
    Last edited by Howard Bullock; August 15th, 2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast