Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Common Sense Idea.

Can someone please tell me, why, oh why wouldn't it work:

All the people who do not have health insurance right now pay into a pot, like 40 bucks a month or something and this would provide them basic care for life-threatening conditions. I realize this is overly simplified, but, seriously, even if you are unemployed you can mow your neighbors lawn for the money......sure there would be rationing and only basic care, but people employed, having private plans wouldn't be forced to pay into it.

Thought of this today after some dumbass lawyer told me that health care was a human right because the UN charter says it is and it supersedes the constitution (bs) basied on some loony interpretation of article IV section 2.
    Last edited by archangel689; August 15th, 2009 at 02:34 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: A Common Sense Idea.

Fact is, people without insurance already receive health care for life threatening situations - as well as non life threatening situations- at no cost. They simply report to an emergency room and get medical attention for free. Those of us who have insurance pay for them thru higher charges when we use medical care.

There are significant numbers of people who actually could afford medical insurance if they would pay for it - but they choose not to due to the availability of care at emergency rooms.

(Allegheny County)

And it should be pointed out that the 'pay into a general fund and have coverage through that' is exactly what happens today. Where do you think your monthly fees for your health care go? If you don't use that money, it goes to cover someone else's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel689 View Post
    Thought of this today after some dumbass lawyer told me that health care was a human right because the UN charter says it is and it supersedes the constitution (bs) basied on some loony interpretation of article IV section 2.
    Off topic, but this is the scariest thing I've read in a while. That lawyer is a threat to the public interest, and should have his right to vote revoked as a matter of public welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by Posit View Post
    Fact is, people without insurance already receive health care for life threatening situations - as well as non life threatening situations- at no cost. They simply report to an emergency room and get medical attention for free. Those of us who have insurance pay for them thru higher charges when we use medical care.

There are significant numbers of people who actually could afford medical insurance if they would pay for it - but they choose not to due to the availability of care at emergency rooms.
    Oh I agree. However, there are a lot of people who don't FEEL they have anything at all even if they do, the problem could be a psychological one. A nationalized system makes people FEEL they have something. My idea, would give them something tangible to hold on to and possibly slightly better care.

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    Off topic, but this is the scariest thing I've read in a while. That lawyer is a threat to the public interest, and should have his right to vote revoked as a matter of public welfare.
    I quoted Reid v. Covert and was told that it was merely precedent. The guy told me I should go to http://www.paltalk.com and debate with him in the chatrooms there. It's actually a rather nice set up they have over there, lots of political discussions, but the first thing I looked for a chat room for guns and was surprised not to find any.........

Also, I am surprised to find that it seems the most vocal in this debate over health care are people who are foreigners, you've got a lot of canadians, etc pushing this shit.
    Last edited by archangel689; August 15th, 2009 at 12:58 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

I don't have insurance just because I've never applied for it.

I have free health care? At an emergency room you say? I've been in a few times and every time I go I get charged a massive bill and pay out the ASS!
    I think last time I went I had swimmers ear and my ear drum ruptured. Wasn't pretty. I had to get Meds but I think I paid about $230 for two hours in there including the wait to be admitted. That doesn't count the medication.
    So how do I get free care at an emergency room? So many people just use the ER I would think everyone was getting free medical attention.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    So how do I get free care at an emergency room? So many people just use the ER I would think everyone was getting free medical attention.
    Simple, don't pay the bill.

Hospital bills are also negotiable.

Apparently, the inverted-communists say a person makes a personal choice to not buy insurance themselves (when a employer is not buying it for them) and then should simply crawl up and die when really sick.

Or we can simply emulate Red China and make people pay cash in advance of any work being done. And then ask relatives and friends to sell off stuff to continue treatment. If you don't pay in time, get out of the hospital until you have enough.

Ok, my non-cynical and cogent response is that there must be a bunch of economic theory that explains why insurance markets are different from other markets. And health care is a tricky one to boot since one cannot really ever choose not to participate in it.

You could in theory do yoga, take vitamins, and exercise and only breathe pure air. One could also simply be satisfied with one's life up until the point where you have a terminal problem and have bet poorly. Accept one's lot and live for the present.

You never know what you'll actually need, and in theory, the insurance company should run the numbers for you and price appropriately. And in theory, they will always pay out what they agreed and operate a perfect bureaucracy which never lets things slip through the cracks even though oopsies conveniently go straight to their bottom line. And then you get to "work for your money" so to speak while navigating phone menus.

Opponents of double taxation would be offended.
    Last edited by PeaceAndLove; August 15th, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Trying to balance out my cynicism.

(Franklin County)

YllwFvr: I congratulate you for paying the bill - many/most people don't. But, you paid the bill after you received treatment... you did not have to demonstrate the ability to pay before you received treatment.

If you choose not to pay for insurance, I think that's fine - your choice, and you pay your bill. But I don't want to pay for someone else's health care because they make the choice not to pay for insurance and do not pay their bill. The poor and indigent are covered by Medicaid... so I pay for them thru taxes... but it frankly irritates the hell out of me to pay higher insurance premiums because someone else could, but chooses not to pay either their bill or for insurance. My charges (and therefore premiums) are higher to cover their hospital expenses.

Also, my understanding is (approximately) as long as you show some intent to pay, e.g., $25 a month, regardless of the size of the bill, hospitals can't undertake any collection action, even though they commonly never recoup the cost of treatment- take it as a loss, thereby necessitating higher charges for those who do pay.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel689 View Post
    Can someone please tell me, why, oh why wouldn't it work:

All the people who do not have health insurance right now pay into a pot, like 40 bucks a month or something and this would provide them basic care for life-threatening conditions. I realize this is overly simplified, but, seriously, even if you are unemployed you can mow your neighbors lawn for the money......sure there would be rationing and only basic care, but people employed, having private plans wouldn't be forced to pay into it.

It does work. We call it insurance, and it is administrated by insurance companies. This is how all insurance works on a basic level. The insurer takes your money betting you won't need their service. They spread the risk over as many people as possible. Then, they work very hard to deny any claims. For those claims on which they pay out, they lose money, but they make enough off the rest that it is an overall gain.

(Lehigh County)

They receive emergency care.

It's an odd system. ER's treat the immediate need, heart attack, strokes, etc etc.

If you start having seizures they'll treat you until the immediate danger is resolved. However they won't treat the brain tumor that is causing it.

That's why it's called the ER.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast