Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Cabelas ProVault Safes by Liberty

Are these safes decent? Cabelas BF flyer lists 24 gun model for $500 with free door panel.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104369580

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Cabelas ProVault Safes by Liberty

Maybe Santa will get me a camera for christmas.. Until then, here is a shitty pic of my Provault.

I went to Cabelas last year for their black friday safe sale. I don't think I got the safe that was advertised, I went with another model that was about $100 more I believe.. I forget how many guns this safe is advertised for, but figure on half (might be able to fit a little more than half) the advertised amount for a lot of safes.

The rails to hold your rifles in place are pretty high up. My Rossi lever action just barely reaches it. My S&W MP15-22 does not reach the rail, even with the stock fully extended. So it ends up just leaning against the other rifles.

In the back, there is a port cutout for long rifles or shotguns, I have a 30" trap gun that fits in the back fine.

The door cover is nice to hold pistols. The Provaults I see on the cabelas website don't show the shelving that mine has.. That was a selling factor for me, to have the shelves. Not sure if I can remove them to put in more rifles.

Seems like a decent safe for the price. Just be aware that you might not be able to fit all 24 o your rifles in it.

The door hanger is nice. that is where I put my handguns. Some are a tight fit. It also have a pocket to hold documents etc...

This was/is my first safe, so I don't have anything to compare it to, and I haven't been robbed, or involved in a fire (knock on wood) so I can't give an opinion on that at this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Berks County)

Thanks. They show it on the site with the shelves out. They are removable. I was concerned about holder shorter rifles and you answered that for me and everything I've read is no safe actually holds what they say they should hold. Seems decent, but wonder if it's possible to move the long gun supports lower. Do I want to be at Cabelas at 4:30 to check these out when they open at 5AM? We'll see...

(Montgomery County)

Haha, you are correct, maybe I have the same one you are talking about..

I just checked, the top shelf is removable and has the rifle holder slots there in the front and back..

There are metal rails going down the right side for the adjustable shelves to be spaced out on.. If there were an attachment with a holder, you could in theory stack the shorter rifles on that side.. I don't know if one could be purchased, but I imagine someone that is handy with tools could easily fashion up something to work..

Good luck.. 4:30 might be getting you there pretty late, LoL.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Good luck.. 4:30 might be getting you there pretty late, LoL.
    Yeah, and I'm no Black Friday fan to begin with.

(Warren County)

i don't know if this helps but tractor supply has cannon safes 24 gun pretty similar in size and pricing regularly in stock. Mine is nice. I built a small riser in the base of mine to lift older shorter firearms up to where they reach the the rests. I think it has a 30 minute at 1100 degrees burn rating which is far from the best but it is the budget 24 gun gun safe.

it weights around 360 lbs seems to lock solidly but again no thefts or fires here so i am just observing. Mine was on sale for i think either $399 or $449 it has many removable swhelves with height adjustable rails that just take regular shelf clips available at most hardware stores so you could build more shelving if you needed it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ls81 View Post
    i don't know if this helps but tractor supply has cannon safes 24 gun pretty similar in size and pricing regularly in stock. Mine is nice. I built a small riser in the base of mine to lift older shorter firearms up to where they reach the the rests. I think it has a 30 minute at 1100 degrees burn rating which is far from the best but it is the budget 24 gun gun safe.

it weights around 360 lbs seems to lock solidly but again no thefts or fires here so i am just observing. Mine was on sale for i think either $399 or $449 it has many removable swhelves with height adjustable rails that just take regular shelf clips available at most hardware stores so you could build more shelving if you needed it.
    I've seen these before and they currently have one listed at $550. It's 500 pounds compared to the same size Cabelas Provault at 300. I have a TSC closer than Cabelas and may go there as I did not get to Cabelas this morning. $50 isn't a make or break for me to avoid the BF mayhem.

(Berks County)

One trick I use for "short rifles" is to put boxes of ammo on the bottom of the cabinet. 300 round box of .556 or 440 rounds of Russian in the ammo can.

Have to store it someplace.

I have noticed that the shelf clips wont hold more than 1500 rounds of .45 cal without collapsing. This in a Winchester safe from Tractor Supply.

(Washington County)

I use dowels of the correct size placed in the barrel to let the short guns reach the bars. I just wrap masking tape around the dowel so it does not fall into the action. The only thing this does not work with is my granddaughter's Cricket being a .22 and very short the 1/4" dowel keeps bending and the gun falls down. I am going to try a .22 cleaning rod in it.

(Northampton County)

A cheap safe is better than no safe. When deciding how much to spend, I tell people to think of the value of the stuff that will be inside. A 600$ safe is pretty much a glorified filing cabinet. It will offer minimal resistance to a pry attack.