Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default New Taurus PT1911 .45ACP

While I'm sure there are better places to put this, since I want to talk about my new gun and OCing with it, I figured I'd place it in the general Pistols category.

So I just got my new Taurus PT1911 .45ACP. I had a chance to get to SGL300 (Archibald, Lackawanna) before it closed for the day, and I'm impressed. At 15-20 yards, while I was still new to the gun (and guns in general) I was hitting paper 32/37 times, 29/37 were on the target, and 7 were touching bullseye rings (on multiple targets that I was aiming at). I'm incredibly impressed with the way the gun recoils, how it feels, and just about everything else about the way it acts. The trijicon night sights were just starting to glow as the sun was almost set. It was pretty So far, I've spent 87 rounds through two same models of the 1911. 37 were from my current gun. And I have discovered that for some strange reason, I'm better with just my strong (right) hand, with my body rotated 45 degrees counter-clockwise to the target. Even my acquired two handed stance from using the PT111 didn't produce results as accurate as this new stance. Is this any sort of normal?

Aesthetically, I think it's beautiful. The two features I am not completely enthused about are the ambi-safety (looks kinda ugly.. replacement thoughts?) and the lack of a frame mounting rail. Beyond that, it looks elegant. I'm even a fan of the stock plastic grips, they fit my hand pretty nicely (although I am looking into wood/rubber grips.. again, any suggestions?). I will take pictures and post them up when I am finished watching "The Rocker"

I OCed with it all day today. As I've mentioned before, in this weather, I am usually wearing a leather jacket that covers the gun by default, but I just finished laundry and I was wearing a nice looking sweater that allowed me to OC nicely. I started my day OCing at Gander (with my PT111). As soon as the transaction was complete, I went straight home and slapped it on my belt (I was doing just as well with the used 1911 that I bought as my PT111, so I figured it wasn't a bad idea). I went to Sheetz in Dunmore, Sheetz in Dickson City (yes, I split my errands up so I could OC in one extra place ), Bill's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain again, Viewmont Mall (needed Taco Bell haha), and even Tom Hesser BMW. I even OCed at work today (which I am so happy my boss and coworkers have no problems with). Their reactions were quite amusing. As my boss put it, and I quote (well, I paraphrase, but it's the same jist):

"The other gun.. it looks like you're carrying to you know.. defend yourself. This one... hmmm.. how do I put it.. it looks like you're itching to get into a gunfight."

That was the moment I knew this gun was for me.
    Last edited by msquaredserver; January 26th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Pike County)

Default Re: New Taurus PT1911 .45ACP

Bully for you MM! Gonna make Factoryville this month?

--RobW

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Bully for you MM! Gonna make Factoryville this month?

--RobW
    I'm gonna try! I still have to become an IDPA member - that's why I missed January's meet.

(York County)

Smile Re: New Taurus PT1911 .45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    While I'm sure there are better places to put this, since I want to talk about my new gun and OCing with it, I figured I'd place it in the general Pistols category.

So I just got my new Taurus PT1911 .45ACP. I had a chance to get to SGL300 (Archibald, Lackawanna) before it closed for the day, and I'm impressed. At 15-20 yards, while I was still new to the gun (and guns in general) I was hitting paper 32/37 times, 29/37 were on the target, and 7 were touching bullseye rings (on multiple targets that I was aiming at). I'm incredibly impressed with the way the gun recoils, how it feels, and just about everything else about the way it acts. The trijicon night sights were just starting to glow as the sun was almost set. It was pretty So far, I've spent 87 rounds through two same models of the 1911. 37 were from my current gun. And I have discovered that for some strange reason, I'm better with just my strong (right) hand, with my body rotated 45 degrees counter-clockwise to the target. Even my acquired two handed stance from using the PT111 didn't produce results as accurate as this new stance. Is this any sort of normal?

Aesthetically, I think it's beautiful. The two features I am not completely enthused about are the ambi-safety (looks kinda ugly.. replacement thoughts?) and the lack of a frame mounting rail. Beyond that, it looks elegant. I'm even a fan of the stock plastic grips, they fit my hand pretty nicely (although I am looking into wood/rubber grips.. again, any suggestions?). I will take pictures and post them up when I am finished watching "The Rocker"

I OCed with it all day today. As I've mentioned before, in this weather, I am usually wearing a leather jacket that covers the gun by default, but I just finished laundry and I was wearing a nice looking sweater that allowed me to OC nicely. I started my day OCing at Gander (with my PT111). As soon as the transaction was complete, I went straight home and slapped it on my belt (I was doing just as well with the used 1911 that I bought as my PT111, so I figured it wasn't a bad idea). I went to Sheetz in Dunmore, Sheetz in Dickson City (yes, I split my errands up so I could OC in one extra place ), Bill's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain again, Viewmont Mall (needed Taco Bell haha), and even Tom Hesser BMW. I even OCed at work today (which I am so happy my boss and coworkers have no problems with). Their reactions were quite amusing. As my boss put it, and I quote (well, I paraphrase, but it's the same jist):

"The other gun.. it looks like you're carrying to you know.. defend yourself. This one... hmmm.. how do I put it.. it looks like you're itching to get into a gunfight."

That was the moment I knew this gun was for me.
    Congrats on your PT-1911. I bought a stainless last October and like you I was not wild about the ambi safety and since I am not a lefty I decided to have it replaced with a Wilson single sided safety. I am having Backwoods Outfitters do the work and it should be ready in about another week. I will post a pic once I get it back. I also put a pair of Hogue rubber grips on and I really like the feel over the stock grips. I do plan on putting the same grips that Rocketfoot has pictured on his gun.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    Congrats on your PT-1911. I bought a stainless last October and like you I was not wild about the ambi safety and since I am not a lefty I decided to have it replaced with a Wilson single sided safety. I am having Backwoods Outfitters do the work and it should be ready in about another week. I will post a pic once I get it back. I also put a pair of Hogue rubber grips on and I really like the feel over the stock grips. I do plan on putting the same grips that Rocketfoot has pictured on his gun.
    I like Rocketfoots grips, but it seems like that is such a commonly used grip for the 1911. I kinda want to get something a little more unique.

Please post those pics when you get your gun back

(York County)

Luck bum ..... a 1911 is my next purchase DEFINITELY. Congrats on that there

(York County)

Smile Re: New Taurus PT1911 .45ACP

I like Rocketfoots grips, but it seems like that is such a commonly used grip for the 1911. I kinda want to get something a little more unique.

Please post those pics when you get your gun back
    Look at VZ Grips and at Esmeralda's Grips. Lot of different 1911 style grips.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Allegheny County)

I OCed with it all day today. As I've mentioned before, in this weather, I am usually wearing a leather jacket that covers the gun by default, but I just finished laundry and I was wearing a nice looking sweater that allowed me to OC nicely.
    You do have a LTCF, right?
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(Lackawanna County)

Congrats on the PT1911. Viewmont mall is my first stop for Taco Bell when I'm in the area as well.

(Berks County)

This thread is useless without pics!