Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Utah CFP: Fingerprinting Privacy?

The same thought has crossed my mind before when considering a UT or Fla. permit...as my prints have never been taken for any reason.

(Centre County)

Default Re: UTAH CFP: Fingerprinting Privacy?

I’ve been fingerprinted several times (For Govt. clearance for jobs) and never had a problem, or even a question.

As for privacy, I’m not sure where these prints go after they enter them in the FBI database. I think they just stay on file there for future reference.

If anyone knows for sure, I’m always willing to be educated.

BTW You may get a better response if you posted this under “General Questions”
    "Anything not compulsory, is strictly prohibited!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slipstik;583713...

That's a good idea for those you don't use the "New Posts" option to read postings like some do...me included.

I like to see all that is posted and decide what to read, not just read certain forums.

(Centre County)

Question Utah CFP: Fingerprinting Privacy?

I was trying to get a friend to join me for a local Utah CFP course, but the fingerprinting requirement put him off as far as privacy. I did not even give it a thought initially, but I currently have no prints on record with my Pennsylvania Licence to Carry Firearms.

Should I be concerned about privacy? I know this is an assessment that is required on an individual basis, but I am just looking for thoughts. I mean, is there even a national database for this sort of thing? Are there any cases of someone innocent being implicated in a crime due to a bad print or leftover prints from fondling firearms? Sounds crazy, but I'm sure stranger things have happened!

Thanks!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slipstik View Post
    Good point. I was curious as to the thoughts of the others who have considered this course in this forum, but this is very much a general question.

My other post is here if you want to follow the discussion...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/460...tml#post583841

Default Re: Utah CFP: Fingerprinting Privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by bripsu View Post
    I was trying to get a friend to join me for a local Utah CFP course, but the fingerprinting requirement put him off as far as privacy. I did not even give it a thought initially, but I currently have no prints on record with my Pennsylvania Licence to Carry Firearms.

Should I be concerned about privacy? I know this is an assessment that is required on an individual basis, but I am just looking for thoughts. I mean, is there even a national database for this sort of thing? Are there any cases of someone innocent being implicated in a crime due to a bad print or leftover prints from fondling firearms? Sounds crazy, but I'm sure stranger things have happened!

Thanks!
    Your friend is being paranoid, unless he has something to hide there is no reason why he shouldn't get it done. I've been fingerprinted countless times and no one has come knocking down my door saying my prints were somewhere...

Guess he doesn't want that Utah permit.

There are basically three types and colors of finger print cards. Blue, red, and white. The color's are designed for the purpose of which the cards are being used. White is generally internal within an organization. Blue is for background checks. Once used they are discarded. They are not uploaded into a database and kept on file. Red is specifically used for those persons who have been arrested and are uploaded into a data base.

If using an AFIS terminal where your prints are taken via a computer scanner, the screen specifically asked the reason of the prints. The same principle applies. Background checks are checked against the date base and dumped when they come back clean. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    There are basically three types and colors of finger print cards. Blue, red, and white. The color's are designed for the purpose of which the cards are being used. White is generally internal within an organization. Blue is for background checks. Once used they are discarded. They are not uploaded into a database and kept on file. Red is specifically used for those persons who have been arrested and are uploaded into a data base.

If using an AFIS terminal where your prints are taken via a computer scanner, the screen specifically asked the reason of the prints. The same principle applies. Background checks are checked against the date base and dumped when they come back clean. Plain and simple.
    I have never seen a blue or red fingerprint card.

(Allegheny County)

Print cards are examined by Utah Dept of Public Safety - Bureau of Criminal Identification personnel, then forwarded to the FBI National Instant Check System (NICS) center in Clarksburg, WV. Prints are required for your initial Utah Concealed Firearm Permit application only, not for renewals (unlike Florida, for example).

Remember, you are not physically appearing before someone in Utah to apply for the permit, hence the prints. Additionally, Utah residents gain the advantage of their permit making them NICS Exempt for purchases, they need only display their Utah permit, the dealer calls BCI using the 24/7 toll free number on the back of the permit and verifies the permit is valid - done. No cross checking multiple databases, being placed into "research" because a database is down or your name is similar to some else's, etc ...

Utah Dept of Public Safety - Bureau of Criminal Identification webpage regarding fingerprints, identity theft, accuracy of records, etc ...

http://www.publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/AFIS.html

FBI webpage on NICS info access under the Freedom of Information Act

http://foia.fbi.gov/nics552g.htm

NRA info page on NICS generally

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=82

... hope this helps ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    I have never seen a blue or red fingerprint card.
    BLUE is an "Applicant" card, used when applying for a permit or various forms of licensure (license to sell insurance, nurses, physicians) or for a job requiring a background check or clearance (working with children, school bus driver).

RED is "Arrest" card, if you see one of these you're having a bad day

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast